Ishbalin war history

All of the adults, Leah, and the Elric's were stunned. Alice and Jacob however, had puzzled looks on their faces.

"What's an Ishbalin?" Alice asked.

Charlie, Carlisle and Billy sighed and looked at each other. "About 15 years ago, there was a terrible tribal war in the land of Ishbal; many were killed." Billy finally started.

"Anyone and everyone were killed – men, women, children - this stupid military that you all are in couldn't care less. Over a hundred were killed. What's worse," Scar continued, "Is half of the unnecessary deaths were caused by alchemists: they would aim for one person, nbut kill 20 others. They were carless."

"Once we got a Philosophers stone," Billy said, "Our powers doubled. I lost the ability to walk in that war." He said, pointing to his legs.

"Hey, Carlisle?" Ed asked, "In the medical field, did you know a Sarah and Urey Rockwell? They would have worked in the medical field."

Carlisle leaned back and rubbed his eyes as if trying to remember. "I do remember hearing about the Rockwells. They were killed, weren't they?"

Ed's face closed up and became unreadable. "Yeah, they were," he said quietly, and then a little louder he added, "For helping some of the innocent Ishbalins." He slammed his fist against the couch in frustration.

"I'm sorry, Edward," Alice said quietly.

"That's not right! How could you kill someone for doing the right thing?" Jacob asked.

"That's the military for you, son," Billy said, resting a hand on his back.

"Then why did you push us to join such a horrible organization?" Alice asked her father.

"The military isn't all bad Alice. It gives you a lot of access to information you normally wouldn't be able to see, and they pay a good amount of money. Also," He added shifting his eyes to the others, "If you know the right people, you would be supported in doing what's right."

"What does this have to do with Jasper, though?" Leah asked. "Didn't he become a vampire about a hundred years ago?"

"That's another interesting story." Scar said. "About a hundred years ago, vampires attacked Ishbal. Our men tried to fight as many of them of as we could. Alchemy helped a lot. But they still were able to kill quite a few and turn a few others. That was our first beating." He added quietly.

"So Jasper was one of them?" Alice asked.

"Yes, Scar said. "In what we call the Vampire War, over 200 Ishbalins were killed. The damn Volturi didn't help us either, 'til the very end that is. My guess is they figured that if we were all killed, there would be no more trading."

"You guys know about the Volturi?" Alice asked, impressed.

Scar laughed. "Of course we do. Not only do trade with them, but also Aro is a very powerful alchemist - he used to train some of our young alchemists, before the war that is."

"Then why didn't they help with the war?" Al asked.

"As strong as the Volturi are, Alphonse, the military is stronger. If alchemists attempted to help, they would have been killed as traitors." Carlisle said.

"They were lucky they didn't have to fight in the war." Carlisle said.

"Why is that?" Billy questioned.

"If they did, then everyone would know about vampires. I was in the medical tents most of the time, so I wasn't exposed." Carlisle answered.

"So what's our next move?" Leah asked Charlie.

"I'm going to contact central and the Volturi, and give them my report. I'm going to leave Scar out, for now, as I truly think he could be a good ally." he said.

"Temporary ally," Scar reminded him.

"After this is over, I intend to kill all of you." he said, while picking up a sleeping May.

"We're going to a hotel. I'm going to study these vampires moves for the next few days and see if I can't track down the Homunculi. I'll tell you if I hear of anything." He then left with May.

"I still don't trust him," Billy grumbled.

"We don't have much of a choice right now." Charlie replied.

On the way back to the Cullen house, Ed asked, "Hey Carlisle, where did you get the stone you used in the war?"

Carlisle shook his head, "I was given it by the military. I have no idea where it came from."

"Oh," was all Ed could say before falling asleep on his brother.