Chapter Thirteen: Mayonnaise Cake

Chapter Thirteen

I paced around the room in hopes of keeping my excitement at bay. I have been jumpy all day and my friends knew something was up but I think they knew when to back off.

Or was it because I gave them creepiest grin?

Anyways, as soon as the last bell rung, I walked – more like sprinted – to this very classroom.

Drew told me to go here after school and it’s been five minutes since I got here! He better have a good plan or else I’m going to strangle him.

“You’re early,” A voice said and I almost jumped right through the roof.

I turned around, a huge smile slowly creeping up to my face as I saw Drew there standing right at the door with a backpack slung casually on his right shoulder.

“You’re late,” I blurted out, pointing to him for extra dramatic effects.

He raised an eyebrow before he let out a hearty chuckle, “I almost forgot how crazy you are.”

Should I take that as a compliment or an insult?

To hear his chuckle, God I loved that sound.

“I miss you,” I suddenly state. After that, I blushed furiously, I swear that my mouth has its own way of thinking.

Drew’s expression softened before he finally stepped in and closed the door behind him. He reached inside his backpack and took out a bag of chips.

He pulled out a chair and casually sat on it, munching on the chips while doing so. I only stared at him with confusion and when he caught my gaze, he lifted up the bag to my direction, “Want some?”

This guy is simply too much for the human brain to understand, though I’ve deducted this completely. He has forgiven me and now we’re back to the way we were before. He was acting as if the whole disagreement never happened.

“So the winter dance is this Friday,” I casually started out a conversation, sitting on the chair next to him.

He nodded as he flicked a chip in the air and caught it with his mouth. He chewed loudly on it as I gave him a disapproving look, but he only rolled his eyes in response.

“Are you going?” I pressed on.

“Nope.”

I frowned at this, “Why?”

“I hate dancing,” he answered simply. Ah, blunt as ever.

“But you helped on decorating the gym,” I reasoned, “Don’t you want to see your hard work pay off?”

“Nope,” he deadpanned, crossing his arms over his chest, “I decorated that gym because I’m failing math. Mr. Roberts did give me the extra credit I needed to pass, but I have the rest of the school year to worry about.”

An idea suddenly popped into my brain as I slowly smirked at him, “I have a proposal for you.”

He slumped on his chair before rolling his eyes at me, “And what would that be?”

“I’ll tutor you in math,” I started out, “If you go to the winter formal.”

He gave me a steel look as if he was weighing his options. Oh for God’s sake, I’ll be the one taking some time out of my schedule to teach him one of the hardest subjects in school, and all he has to do is wear a tux and enter the gym on Friday night.

“Fine,” he sighed dramatically and I resisted the urge to slap him upside the head.

“Good,” I nodded before standing up and grabbing my bag. “Come on, let’s go home.”