Chapter Twenty-Six: Rebecca

Not proofread.

Deep breaths, don’t faint and keep a straight face.

Three simple things yet I can’t bring my body to do it. I leaned against the wall to keep myself from fainting. I don’t even get why I’m so nervous here.

Oh right, you haven’t seen your parents for ten months.

“Celeste,” Jazzy greeted with a nod as she approached me with a glass of water, “You’re having a panic attack again.”

“What are they doing here?” I asked, gripping the glass with my right hand.

“They wanted to see how their business and investments are going in this city,” she explained as I gulped the water, inhaling and exhaling after.

“Where are they right now?”

“They went for a quick trip to one of their restaurants,” she answered, taking the hand from my glass and steadily helping me to the living room. I fell to the couch and rested my head on my hands.

“I don’t get why you’re so nervous. You weren’t this anxious the last time they visited.”

“Because this time, Drew’s part of my life,” I groaned, shifting my position so I can lay down on the couch, “They were already bombarding me with questions when I called them about letting Drew’s dad out of jail for his birthday.”

“Is there something going on with you and Drew that is should know of?” she inquired, giving me a knowing smirk.

“It’s complicated,” I told her, “But we’re not a couple.”

“I knew it!” she squealed in delight, jumping up and down, “All the tension is getting to me.”

“Jazzy,” I complained and she let out a laugh, shaking her head.

“What?” she batted her eyes innocently, “The looks, the way you blush when you talk about hm. I was about to drag him here and force him to make a move.”

“Jazzy!”

She laughed harder at my expense and patted my head like I was a child, “I like him, Cel. I know he won’t do anything to hurt you intentionally.”

“Intentionally?” I repeated.

“No relationship is perfect,” she reminded me.

I nodded in agreement and we sat in silence until we heard the familiar opening of the elevator from the foyer. I bolted upright and Jazzy quickly composed herself to look professional. She smiled reassuringly at me and went to greet my parents.

“Good Evening, Mr. and Mrs. Graham,” I heard her say formally.

“Good Evening, Jazzy,” I heard my mother’s velvet voice greet.

I can hear the clacking of heels and when I finally got the courage to turn my head to the doorway, my parents stood there, observing me.

They were literally your cliché black suit couple. My father’s original dark brown hair was starting to turn grey. His square rimmed glasses were perched on his nose as he wore his usual black work suit.

My mother was still a beauty after all these years. The stress and age was visible in her features though she still had her original elegant beauty that made my father fall for her in the first place. Her brunette hair was curled and ended just past her shoulder. People said that I looked like her when she was my age.

“Celeste,” they greeted simultaneously.

I stood up from the couch and approached them, “Mom, dad,” I acknowledged.