Chapter Thirty-Eight: Three Words

Not proofread so don't kill me.

Claire separated from her best friend for a brief moment to climb up the stage and get behind the mic stand, “I hope all of you are having a wonderful night,” she said which was responded with a lot of appreciative cheers, “But now, how about a little fun to mix things up?”

People looked around to find out what she was planning to do. Drew looked at me and I shrugged, this was the first time I was hearing about this.

“I want all of the girls to head on to the left side of the gym and the boys on the right,” she instructed.

Drew said a brief ‘see you later’ to me with an accompanied push to the other direction.

“All of the lights will turn off and I want you to just grab the nearest opposite gender. Whoever that person is, you’ll have to dance one song with him or her.”

Murmurs erupted from the crowd as some were preparing for this game. The guys fixed up their ties and the girls fluffed their hair a little.

“This is kind of creative,” Jessica smiled next to me, “It’s an opportunity for the dateless ones to enjoy a dance.”

“Unless you have a jealous psycho date,” I laughed, imagining a situation like that.

“Alright everybody,” Claire announced before she slowly counted down. Once the last number escaped her lips, all of the lights closed and everybody started to walk, groping everything around them in search for a partner.

A hand touched my arm and I jumped a mile in the air. Even though I can’t see this stranger, I was relieved that I found a partner to dance with.

“Five more seconds to find your unknown Romeo and Juliet,” Claire’s voice said through the yelling voices.

The lights turned on once again and I squinted at the sudden brightness. It took some time for my eyes to adjust and I finally looked at my mystery dance partner.

Oh fate, have you been playing with me?

Even with the mask on, I can distinguish that the man in front of me was non-other than Lucas Smith. His dark floppy hair and mischievous brown eyes just gave him away in an instant.

“Well,” Lucas started out awkwardly, “This is going to be fun.”

“Fun indeed,” I sighed.

“Does everybody have a partner now?” Claire asked, observing everything from the view onstage. She nodded in satisfaction at what she saw and gestured for the DJ to start the song.

With just the few beats of the song, I almost fell at the song choice. Ah, fate really is punishing me tonight.

A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather

“Might as well do this,” Lucas chuckled uneasily, offering a hand for me to take. I stared at it for the longest time before smiling; I placed my hand on top of his and he settled his other one on my waist with mine on his shoulder.

“You’re a jerk, you know,” I told him as we slowly started to sway with the music, “You didn’t even allow Rebecca to enjoy her night.”

He started to mutter up some excuses but I cut him off. When I saw Yasmin dancing with another guy, her eyes didn’t have this shine in them unlike when she was with Lucas. I grew to like her, when I thought I’ll be a jealous freak because she and Drew dated, I was so wrong.

“You really like Yasmin, don’t you?”

He followed my gaze until his eyes landed on his date. He nodded softly, his look containing nothing awe, “Yes, I do.”