Chapter Thirty-Six: Our Future

“Somebody please zip me up,” I called out from my dressing room. A few taps was heard and I unlocked the door. Lillian graciously zipped up the back of the dress before smiling in approval.

“The dress looks good,” she complimented as I turned to the mirror. Yes, the dress was pretty nice but somehow, it wasn’t for me.

“No,” I shook my head, swiping my hair over my shoulder so she can help me in removing the dress. She exited the dressing room and I took off the dress.

“What should I do?” I sighed, changing back into my clothes, “This is already the eleventh shop we went in.”

“Finding the perfect dress takes time,” I heard Jessica say from the other side. Being the lucky fashionista that she is, she found her prom dress in the first shop we went to.

I placed the dress back on the hanger before walking out. I shook my head at the saleslady and her lips curved downwards, “Thank you for coming, ma’am.”

I’ve heard that same dialogue over and over again. That same disappointed face when I reject the things they offered to me.

“How about one more store before we rest?” Annabelle suggested, pointing at the last remaining shop on the floor. I nodded and we walked to it. Cute dresses and gowns were displayed on the shop window and that gave me a little hope of finding my prom outfit here.

“Welcome,” a familiar voice chirped when we entered.

Our jaws dropped when we saw non-other than Claire Roberts sitting behind the counter. When she did realize who her costumers were, her eyes narrowed down into slits, “Oh, it’s you.”

“I thoughts you were loaded, why are you working in this flimsy boutique?” Lillian asked, curiosity mixed with annoyance was dripping in her voice.

“Becca persuaded me into working here with her,” she explained, moving from the other side of the counters, “But now she’s crying her eyes out because her pathetic boyfriend broke up with her.”

Oh, right, Lucas was sort of in a relationship with Yasmin. As much as I didn’t want a nice girl like Rebecca to be hurt with Lucas’ antics, both of them needs somebody to make them truly happy. A one-sided relationship wouldn’t do the job.

“Now what do you want?” she inquired, gesturing to the racks of gowns and dresses.

Taking a deep breath through my nose to control my temper, I slowly spoke, “I need something for prom.”

She rolled her eyes, “Of course you do,” she said in a ‘duh’ tone, “I’m asking what kind do you want?”

I don’t have a question for that myself. I have no specific thing in mind for the dress I wanted to wear and it’s causing me to go crazy that I can’t be contented with the ones I already tried on.

Pushing hangers, dresses and other things away, I practically looked through most of the things in this store. The sad part is, I found nothing interesting.

“This is not good,” I stomped in frustration, “I know this is the last store that sells dresses and gowns in this mall.”

“Look, you’re not really in my list of people that I like,” Claire suddenly said, “But I guess prom is the time where every girl helps one another.”

She lifted a finger to tell us to wait before disappearing to the back of the store. I shared some looks with my best friends and they only offered some shrugs.

“Here,” Claire coughed, approaching us with a box in hand, “Some girl reserved this a few months ago and I’m pretty sure she’s not interested with it anymore,” she told us, placing the box in my hands, “Go try it on.”