Chapter Twenty-Nine: He Doesn't Get It

Not proofread, but when do I ever do that? 

I hate hospitals. The white walls and the smell of it just remind me of death. Somebody would always be crying at the lobby, the nurses with straight faces would either give you the biggest or worst news you’ll ever hear.

Placing that aside, where the hell was Drew?

I stood at the middle of the hospital lobby, people constantly bumping into me. I looked around, hoping Drew would just randomly pop up.

Thankfully, I saw him walking to my direction while holding Savannah in his arms. The child was already asleep with her head rested on her brother’s shoulder.

“Hey,” I greeted softly, my voice filling with concern.

He nodded at me before placing his eyes on the child in his arms, “Could you take her home?”

I stretched out my arms to take Savannah from him. She settled in my arms with her head placed at the crook of my neck.

“You okay?” I asked.

He didn’t reply, he looked downright tired. I didn’t want to ask about Ariel until he was ready to tell me so I kept my mouth shut.

“I’m sorry I missed dinner,” he apologized.

My eyebrows knitted together before I took a step forward, “Promise you’ll get some rest tonight.”

Again, no response. I sighed and leaned to give him a peck on his cheek. His eyes widened in surprise and I tried to stay calm with what I just did.

“Why don’t I take Savannah home with me where Jazzy can keep an eye on her?” I suggested, “I’ll come back later.”

“You don’t need to,” he mumbled.

“I’m going to make sure you at least get a blink of sleep,” I told him sternly, readjusting Savannah in my arms to make sure she was still comfortable.

Drew gestured for me to go and I gave him one more reassuring look before turning on my heel and headed to the exit.

I strapped Savannah on the passenger seat before I climbed into the driver’s side. I made sure I kept an eye on her sleeping figure while I took the turns and halts on the road. When I was parked at my apartment complex, I gathered her into my arms.

The elevator ride was agonizing slow. Even if Savannah was so tiny, she still had some weight on her and my arms were starting to get tired.

When I got inside the penthouse, I could still hear the adults laughing and chatting. I sneaked my way upstairs and back into my room. Surprisingly, my friends were still there on the floor with the empty water bottle right at their middle.

“Who’s she?” Jessica immediately squealed once she saw the little girl in my arms. She shot up from her position on the floor and went to take a closer look at Savannah, “She’s adorable.”

“And she’s asleep,” I pointed out sharply, “So keep your voice down.”

She gave me a sheepish smile, “Sorry.”

I went to my bed and tucked Savannah under my warm blankets. She snuggled up to the closest pillow as she mumbled incoherent words under her breath.

“She’s Drew’s sister,” I informed, stroking Savannah’s brown locks.

“Is he alright?” Lillian asked, taking a seat next to Savannah’s sleeping figure on my bed.

“I’m not sure,” I answered truthfully, “I’m going back to him. Can you guys look after her until you leave? I’ll tell Jazzy that she’s here.”