Chapter Fourteen: Stop Glaring

Chapter Fourteen

When morning came, I was in such a chirpy mood. I brushed off the fact that I barely got an hour of sleep but I was so happy that Drew and I were talking again.

As the usual routine, Jazzy greeted me with a joyful good morning before serving me my breakfast.

“I’m guessing you finally got along with Drew again,” she teased as she handed me my coffee.

How did she know?

“Other than the fact I heard you two screaming the other day, you were practically a zombie for the past week,” she explained.

“I asked that out loud, didn’t I?” I asked and she nodded with an amused smile on her face.

“Are you mad?”

“Why in the world would I be mad?”

“Because,” I started out, “Your sister is Drew’s ex.”

She looked at me warmly before going behind my chair and hugging me from behind, “You’re like a sister to me, Celeste. You may be somewhat my boss but you’ve been more of a little sister to me than my real one was.”

“And I feel like you’re my only family,” I mumbled under my breath. I miss my parents, it’s been a long time since I last saw them in person.

“Your parents love you so much,” she reassured me.

I shrugged and started digging into my breakfast. For the first time since my fight with Drew, I finally grew an appetite. The big grin on Jazzy’s face was an indication of how pleased she was that I was finally getting some food into my system. I didn’t blame her though; I’ve lost a lot of weight in the past week.

A familiar buzz snapped our attention; it was a call from the front desk signaling that there was somebody to see us.

Jazzy pressed a button from the receiver and we were greeted by the familiar voice of the man handling the front desk, “Good Morning, Miss Graham.”

“It’s Celeste,” I corrected. That man has been working at this building for five years, and every time I told him to call me by my first name, he ignores the idea completely.

“There’s this boy named Lucas Smith who is claiming that he wants to see you,” he told me, and I internally groaned.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” I said to him before ending our conversation.

I gave Jazzy my goodbye before grabbing my bag and heading to the elevator. I pressed the button going to the lobby and waited patiently for the elevator to descend through the floors.

The metal doors opened, and I saw Gregory, the man who I talked to earlier, typing on his computer while talking to a guest.

“Hey Greg,” I greeted, and he returned it with a curt nod before pointing to the sitting area where Lucas was contentedly looking at the fake fireplace.

“Celeste.” He instantly jumped out of his seat when he saw me approaching.

“What are you doing here?” I asked as he reached to take my bag from me.

“I’m driving you to school.”

“I have my own car,” I deadpanned, but he ignored my statement and proceeded to walk past me with my bag in his clutches.

“Lucas!” I groaned but followed him nonetheless.

We entered the parking lot and parked there was his slick black Honda. He opened the passenger seat for me, and as much as I hated him, I couldn’t help but smile at him for he was acting like a gentleman.