Chapter Twenty-Seven: Cake Chase

Not proofread.

The story about Lucas finally getting a steady girlfriend spread around the school like wildfire. Rebecca Williams became more popular than she would have ever imagined in a span of two hours.

Of course, Claire has been also basking in the friendship spotlight.

“Do you really think Lucas likes her?” I asked as I eyed the happy couple that was standing in the lunch line.

“Nope,” Annabelle deadpanned, “It looks a little one-sided to me.”

“I agree with Anna on this one,” Lillian added, “One minute he’s doing everything to impress you then the next thing you know, he has another girl clinging onto his arm.”

I sighed and looked at Blake, if there was anybody who knew Lucas to heart, it would be his own twin brother.

“Blake?” I inquired, waiting for his opinion.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, “But it looks to me like this Rebecca chick is just a rebound girl.”

“Don’t trouble yourself with it,” Drew spoke from next to me.

He was right, I shouldn’t be troubling myself with it. It’s just that, Lucas is one of my closest friend and the thought of him using another girl kind of irks me.

I tried to ignore them but when they started to approach us with their trays of food, I was quite doing a horrible job.

“Hey guys,” Lucas greeted and we all gave him a nod of acknowledgement, “Mind if Rebecca sits with us?”

“Of course not,” I tried to act politely, gesturing to the available chairs.

Then we were all greeted by an awkward silence. Rebecca was staring at us, observing our group carefully while we tried to act nonchalant. Cue word was, tried. From the corner our eyes, we were looking at her, watching her every move.

“So Rebecca,” I started out, might as well talk to her, “How did you make the one and only Lucas Smith fall for you.”

Lucas clearly didn’t look pleased when I asked the question. He gave me a look which a returned with one of my own.

“I don’t know, really,” she answered before looking at Lucas lovingly, “But whatever happened, I’m really lucky.”

I actually had some sympathy on the girl. From the look she gave Lucas, it was clear that she really liked him. The way Lucas was avoiding her eyes, it seems that this relationship was a little one-sided.

Sighing, I looked away from the couple. Maybe I should listen to Drew, I should just stop troubling myself with it.

So that’s what I did all day. It was a little difficult because it has been everybody’s favorite topic.

“You’re scrunching your eyebrows again,” Drew pointed out, closing his locker as I leaned to the one next to it.

“I’m thinking,” I muttered, handing him my books when he offered his hands to take them.

“When are you not?” he tried to joke but I just kept my face straight. He blew out through his nose and stopped walking, “How about we go do something since school is already finish?”

I stared at him for the longest time, making sure he’s serious. Drew Everett never suggests going somewhere together; it was always I who initiated these events.

“Are you sure?” I asked in disbelief.

He gave me a flat look before continuing on walking, “Yeah I’m sure.”