Chapter Nineteen: I Don't Know

Chapter Nineteen

 “Yes Drew, it’s really happening,” I laughed, crossing my arms over my chest though I felt extremely self-conscious.

“Impossible,” he shook his head, leaning against my new car.

We were waiting at the parking lot for the police to bring out Mr. Everett and Drew kept asking if this was really happening.

“It’s possible,” I corrected him, “Stop doubting everything and just savor everything.”

He let out a sigh and we saw a police man who was dragging Mr. Everett to our direction. I gave both men a smile as I met them halfway with Drew trailing behind me.

“Here you are, Miss Graham. I think you are perfectly oriented and we expect him to be back before midnight,” he laid out and I nodded. Finally, he took out his keys and released Drew’s father from the handcuffs secured behind his back.

“Thank you,” I said to him before gesturing the pair of father and son to my car.

When we were all inside and I was already driving down the road, Mr. Everett spoke up.

“Miss Graham,” he started formally but I held up a hand to stop him.

“Please call me Celeste, Mr. Everett,” I told him.

“Very well,” he coughed out, “Then can call me James, if you don’t mind.”

“I think that’s fair,” I agreed, stopping at a red light, “What do you want to tell me?”

He really needs to relax. He’s fidgeting in his seat and I don’t really blame him. I have a feeling that he has a mentality that if he says something wrong, I’ll kick him right back to jail the second he does.

“Why did you free me?” he asked and even though he was the one asking, my attention was on Drew who was looking at me as well, waiting for my answer.

“Because it’s Drew’s birthday,” I replied simply, “I think he would at least want to spend some time with his father even if it was only for one day.”

He seemed to be taken aback by my answer but the smile that I earned from Drew was enough to make me resist with any bone in my body to melt under his gaze. God, I love that smile.

When the stoplight turned green, I started to drive again until we finally reached their house. James gazed at his house with an emotion I can’t place my finger on.

“We’re here,” I announced, taking off my seatbelt and getting out of the car. Drew exited from the passenger’s side and opened the door for his father.

“Welcome home, dad,” Drew said with nothing but gentleness in his voice. James got out of the car but not once did her take off his eyes from the house.

James started his way to the front porch and I walked to Drew’s side, “Also consider this as a Christmas present to Ariel and Savannah.”

“Good,” he breathed out, “This is too much to think that you only did this for me.”

I wanted to tell him that from the start that I only thought of him. He was the only person on my mind when I gathered up the courage to give my father a call to beg him for the release of Drew’s father on Christmas Eve.

That would be too much, he might think differently of me when I say that to him.

Keeping my mouth shut, I followed Drew to his house. James didn’t enter yet for he only had his hand on the door handle, preparing himself to what would happen.