Chapter Eight: Promises

A/N: Okay so I wen't a little overboard with this chapter - it's like 8000 words long!

I hope you like this one guys and please let me know what you think!

P.S. this one is dedicated to Scorpio6 because your comments are both hilarious and heartwarming! Thank you for reading everyone!

~ ~ ~ 

They all seemed to stand in stunned silence for a moment, Erica looking from one to the other before she finally snapped out of it.

"Okay, hold on, I thought your younger sister was dead," she said. "You're telling me that this is your sister?"

"I thought..." Derek began but he seemed to have trouble finding his words. "They found your body."

Cora shook her head, "I got out just in time, and I ran."

"Where...Wha― you've been gone for..."

"Eight years, I know, long time," she said. "I was ten when it happened and mom told me to run, so I did."

"Why didn't you come back?" he asked.

"Uh, guys?" Erica said quietly.

"I didn't think anyone survived, even if they got out," she said. "I heard others talking about a pack being back in Beacon Hills, led by a Hale. I thought when I got here that it would be Laura."

"Laura's dead," Derek said with a shake of his head.

"I figured as much, I don't really know what I was expecting to find but when I got closer I started hearing your name and I figured you'd be the last one left."

"Almost," Derek said.

"Okay I know this is a touching little family reunion but can we please go upstairs before opening that box?" Erica said.

Derek just nodded, never really taking his eyes off Cora as they headed up to the loft.

"This is where you live?" Cora asked as she took in her surroundings, her nose twitching as she inhaled the different scents of the place.

"It's better than when he was living in that burned out of house," Erica said and both of them just looked at her. "Sorry, was that... I mean, too soon?"

"I've had eight years to come to terms with the fact that someone burned down my home with my family in it so I don't think it's that soon," Cora said.

"I'll go make some tea or something, anything else really," Erica said as she made her way to the kitchen.

"Smells like you've got quite a few in your pack," Cora said, she and Derek standing at opposite sides of the room to one another. "I think I might have met one of them."

"Where?" Derek asked.

"Phoenix," she said. "He never mentioned your name but he was a wolf from Beacon Hills who seemed reluctant to tell me all that much about himself."

"Boyd? You met Boyd?" Erica asked, walking in from the kitchen to again meet two very similar looks to before. "I mean...milk in your tea? Or you know, blood? The tears of children?"

"Erica," Derek snapped and she rolled her eyes as she headed back in.

"I think it was him, big guy, looking for a girl," she said. "I knew the rumours of a pack had to be true after that, everyone knows you don't go blabbing your pack secrets to the world, even if you are going rogue."

"Where have you been all this time?" he asked.

"South America mostly, there's a pack there who used to know mom and they heard what happened and took me in, kept me safe," she said. "Last year we heard rumours that there was a strong pack forming in Beacon Hills, like I said, my first thought was that Laura was alive and running it."