Chapter Fourteen: Velocity

A/N: Hi all, sorry it's so late, life and all.

Hope you like this one and as always I love your beautiful comments, you all make writing worth it!

~~~

Chapter Fourteen: Velocity

Peter stood smugly a few metres from the two of them as Erica glared over at him and hoped he couldn't smell her nervous energy.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her body still and her gaze unfaltering.

"I thought I told you?" he said. "I heard that I had family back in town, and who doesn't love a family reunion?"

"I'm sure Laura didn't really appreciate it," Erica said coldly.

"How did you hear about me?" Cora asked and Erica could hear the speed of her heartbeat quicken. "Who told you I was here?"

"I have many sources of information," he said. "It's so good to see you."

He started to take a step forward and Erica stepped in front of Cora to stop him.

"What do you want?" she said through gritted teeth.

"I already told―"

"I don't mean the whole family love and friendship bullshit, I mean the truth," she said. "What are you really doing here?"

"Surely you know when I'm lying," he said.

"You and her have this thing that you do where you don't lie but you don't actually tell the truth either," she said, gesturing back to Cora. "Maybe you did hear that Cora was back and wanted to see for yourself but I don't believe for a second that you came here for sentimental reasons. What do you want from her?"

"Already so protective," he said.

"You're a manipulative sociopath," she said, turning to look at Cora. "Not sure if Derek had the chance to cover all of that yet."

"He told me a few things," she said.

"And where is my nephew? Surely he wouldn't let you out of his sight for too long at a time?" he said and there was a pause before Erica spoke up again.

"We're out for a walk, he trusts me to be able to keep an eye on her," he said.

Peter smirked. "I'm not sure whether that's a lie or if you just don't believe it yourself."

"I don't really need anyone to keep an eye on me."

"Clearly you do because otherwise you would have ended up out here alone with him on your trail," Erica hissed. "And I'm not lying."

"Well then?" he said. "Where is he?"

Erica didn't say anything, she just stared at him while her nostrils flared.

"Someone's coming," Cora said quietly as the footsteps approached.

"It's Jackson," Erica said without looking over at her.

"What the hell is he doing out here?" she asked.

"I texted him earlier when I was following your dumb ass out here," she hissed.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Jackson said as he came jogging into the clearing.

Peter rolled his eyes in the most over exaggerated way he could manage and turned slowly to give Jackson a smile.

"That seems to be the question of the hour," he said.

"I wasn't asking you," Jackson said without looking over at him.