Chapter Nine: Distance

A/N: Hey guys! Another long chapter here so I hope you like it!

~ ~ ~

Chapter Nine: Distance

"You know the closer we get the more it feels like a mistake," Isaac said as he and Erica sat in the back of the Uber on their way to a hotel on the California coast.

They had gone to grab some clothes from Isaac's place and Erica had taken a few things from her house, though she had said if she forgot anything she would just buy it when she got there.

"You know I've never actually been to the coast," Erica said as she gazed out the window. "I've hardly been out of Beacon Hills at all really, and even then it was further inland."

"Berkeley isn't quite the coast," Isaac said and she turned to look at him. "It's on the bay."

"It's as close as I've ever been," she said. "And stop whining, we need to get away for a while."

Isaac sighed and looked down at his phone. He had left a note on the fridge for Scott to tell him that he had gone with Erica to visit Stiles. He was just waiting for Scott to try calling him to talk about it.

So far he had heard nothing.

"Stop staring at that thing," Erica said without looking up at him.

"Are we being completely childish for doing this?" he asked.

Erica sighed and turned to him.

"Isaac, you love Scott right?" she said.

"You like asking stupid questions, right?"

"Fine, feel guilty, see if I care."

"Okay, alright... obviously I love him," he said. "What is your point?"

"My point is that it doesn't matter if you love each other because you're still having problems," she said. "You love him but that gets in the way of fixing your problems because if I'm right then you'll both just ignore them as much as you can so you don't have to ask the tough questions."

"By that you mean whether we're any good for each other?" Isaac said.

"Do you think you are?"

"I think we work Erica, that's not why I'm here," he said. "This isn't really about Scott."

"What's it about then?" she asked.

"I don't know, me," he said with a sigh. "Derek."

Erica raised an eyebrow at him and he just grunted with a shake of his head.

"Do you really think I meant it like that?" he said, lowering his voice. "I just mean that sometimes I think things would be so much easier if we weren't... the way we are."

She sighed and looked down at her hands.

"I know," she said. "I mean, I'd have nothing, I'd be miserable and alone like I was before but maybe I just want to know what it would be like to not have to worry about all the rest of it."

"Me too," he said, knowing that the one thing that was pivotal in shaping the person he had become was the one thing that made him feel trapped. "Do you think it would be less complicated?"

She scoffed, "Obviously. What makes Derek such a big part of this for you? I thought you came along because Scott held onto this big secret or whatever."

"He isn't the only one with secrets," Isaac said. "His just got found out."

"Can you stop being so cryptic?"