Unexpected

We were sitting at Starbucks, she was eating a blueberry muffin and I was drinking the biggest thing of coffee there was available.
My head was starting to hurt pretty bad.
"You okay?" She asked, I nodded.
"Yeah, my head's just hurting."
I said, she nodded, finishing her muffin
"This was the best thing ever, I swear. I can never get over how good blueberry muffins are."
I smiled, she was adorable.
I felt bad because I had promised her I wouldn't drink anymore and I had just gotten drunk and didn't tell her about it. But she was really happy, and I didn't wanna ruin it.
"So, what are we gonna do for Christmas tomorrow?" She asked
"We can go out for lunch."
She looked at me, confused.
"Doesn't your family live here?" She said
"Yeah, but we never spend Christmas together." I said, she nodded.
"I wanna go shopping for something to wear tomorrow. You can go home If you want, I'll meet you there for lunch." She said, I nodded.
She kissed me goodbye and left.
I got up, and paid for our stuff, then took a picture with a few screaming girls, and drove home.
I got out of my beautiful Audi R8 and walked up to the steps of my house, when I noticed him sitting on one of them.
"I came by before, you weren't in."
Indio said.
His face was obviously more visible in the day light.
I noticed some details I hadn't before.
He had dark circles under his eyes, he had a cut on his eyebrow, and a few light bruises on his face.
"I was out with Leighton." I said, not expecting him to come by at all.
He nodded, I looked at him, and then opened the door for us to get in.
He walked in my living room, checking stuff out.
I sat down on one of the chairs in the kitchen, and looked at him walk around. He looked like a fish out of water. I had a big expensive house, with big expensive things and expensive cars and gadgets.
Then there was Indio. He had a black long jacket, it was consumed and old by the look of it. His black jeans were ripped, maybe for style maybe not, and his black vans had holes in them.
He had a long black t-shirt too, it was maybe the newest thing he had on, giving by the lack of holes.
He looked at Leighton's ukulele that was lying on the couch. He took it in his hands and played a few chords.
"Is this yours?" He said, turning around to look at me.
"It's Leighton's. She's pretty good at it." I said, he nodded.
"So, where is this Leighton?" He asked.
"She went shopping." I said, he nodded and sat on one of my couches, resting his head on the back pillow.
"Indio" I whispered
"Mhmh?"
"Who beat you up?" I said, getting up and walking in front of him.
"Nobody beat me up." He said
"So what's up with your face." I said, sitting next to him. He shrugged
"Where do you live?" I said
"The Bronx."
"Indio." I started, but he shook his head.
"Listen, i didn't come here for your pity or for money. I can take care of myself." He said
"Then why did you come?"
He shrugged again
"I couldn't believe it was actually you. I needed more proof." He said
"You're different when you're not stoned. You know that?" He said
"Yeah."
We stayed in silence, his head was still laying on the pillow, his eyes were closed.
I heard the doorbell ring, and i jumped up.
Indio didn't move, or open his eyes.
I walked to the door, and opened it.
Leighton stood there, her face serene.
"Hey baby." She said and kissed me.
She walked in and then noticed Indio.
She looked at me confused, and then back at him.
I took her hand and went into the bathroom.
"That's Indio." I said, she winded her eyes.
"What?" She said
"I met him before, I invited him in." I said, she smiled.
"That's great! I wanna talk to him. He can maybe stay for lunch." She said and went in the living room.
I followed her, worried about Indio's reaction. She cleared her throat.
Indio opened his eyes, and looked at her.
"Hi" she said timidly.
He got up, and she reached for his hand. He took it
"Hi. You must be Leighton." He said, smiling. It was a kind smile, he looked like another person.
"Yeah, you're Indio. Right? Robert always talks about you." She said, he looked at me and squinted his eyes confused.
"He does?"
Leighton nodded.
"You're welcome to stay for lunch, Indio. It's Christmas Eve after all." She said, he nodded.
"I'm going to change, Robbie cook something ok?" She said, and walked upstairs.
I was shocked. I slowly walked to the kitchen and started preparing some pasta. I felt Indio sit on the stool behind me.
"She seems like a great girl." He said
"She is." I answered
"She doesn't know, right?"
I turned to look at him, and shook my head.

"So, you sing?" Indio asked Leighton, between chewing.
"Yeah I kinda do." She said
"A few buddies and I always play at a bar, you can come and we can sing together, whenever." He said,
Leighton smiled.
"That sounds great." She answered.
I hadn't said a word since we sat down, Leighton and Indio seemed to click so well.
"Thanks for lunch. Really." Indio said, wiping his face with a napkin and getting up.
Leighton smiled
"You're welcome, Indio. Merry Christmas." She said walking over to him and hugged him.
She looked like a little kid next to him, he was way taller then her.
"Merry Christmas Leighton. Hope you can come by the bar and let me hear what you've got" he smiled, she nodded.
Then Indio turned to me, I got up.
"I'll walk you out." I said, he waved to Leighton and walked behind me.
Once we were out the building, he put his hands in the pockets of his old jacket.
"I can take you home if you want." I said, he shook his head.
"It's okay. Thanks for lunch." He said.
"Indio. Please call me or Leighton for anything. I wanna be there for you, okay?" I said.
"She's a great girl, Robert. Don't let her go." He said, and started walking.
I looked at him disappear around the corner and dropped on the steps of my house.
I lit a cigarette.
He had called me Robert.
He was my son and he called me Robert.

AN: Let me know what you think :)