"Not" in the mood

When i finished my cigarette i walked back upstairs.
Leighton was sitting on the couch, her ukulele in her hands, she was humming a song.
I sat down next to her, just listening.
She eventually stopped playing, and we sat in silence.
"Robert?" she whispered after a while.
I turned my head to look at her, my eyes taking in her worried face.
"I don't think Indio is doing so well."
She dropped her stare at her hands, her thumbs twiddling.
"I offered him help, he didn't want it." I said
"Maybe we should invite him to come with us tomorrow, i don't think he has the kind of money to go out for a christmas lunch."
"We can host a lunch here! We can invite him and your sister and maybe your mom." she spoke again, this time with exhilaration in her voice.
I knew Leighton just wanted some family around, even if it was mine. I didn't have the heart to tell her no, so i brushed her cheek with my hand
"why not" I said.

I loved my sister Allyson with all my heart, her and my mother were the most important people i knew.
She was two years older than me, and her life was heading towards nothing.
She didn't have interests, or a husband and family. She lived in a house right beside our mother's, and I sent her money to live.
I sent them both money, but my mother refused every single piece of cash, she had always been a strong and independent woman, she didn't need me or my money.
My sister had had a dark past, darker than mine.
The situation with my father really scarred her, and since her early ages of dating, she used to go out with abusive men.
I wasn't around anymore when things got worse, I was with my dad, developing my soon to be addiction.
She finished in the hospital, barely even able to breathe.
Her boyfriend had beat her almost to death, and when i heard the news, i couldn't contain myself. A few buddies of mine and i looked him up and treated him the same way he had treated my sister.
I had taken her in with me for the year after, she was totally broken down.
She eventually got her own place right beside our mom's and never dated another guy again.
I dialed her number, thinking I couldn't just show up at her apartment.
"Hello?"
"It's Robert." I said
"Oh, hey bobbie."
She was the only one who called me that, it used to get on my nerves when I was younger.
"I'm in town and i was wondering if If I could come by and say hi to you and mom."
"Yeah sure." She said
"See you in an hour."
I closed the call and went in the living room. Leighton was laying on the couch, her eyes closed.
I kissed her forehead and walked to the door.
Once I was out I got in my car and drove to Allyson's place.
I parked in front of her apartment, lighting up a cigarette, not knowing if I could actually speak to them.
I loved Allyson and my mom, but I could never forgive myself for leaving them. I remember my mother's face when she bailed me out of prison once. I promised myself I wouldn't get so bad again, for her. But I never lived up to that promise.
When i finished my cigarette, I sighed and got out of the car, walking up the steps to Allyson's house.
I rang the doorbell and a few moments later the door opened.
"Bobbie" she whispered
She was standing right in front of me, but looked much different then what I remembered. I had last seen her a few years ago, but she looked much older. Her hair was tied up in a bun, and she had a long grey shirt on and black pajama pants.
I looked at the dark and big circles under her eyes and wondered what was keeping her up at night.
I immediately felt a huge amount of pity for my sister.
"Ally." I said taking a step closer.
We were never the close type, never did we hug or kiss before.
So when I hugged her and kissed her head, she looked confused.
She let me come in, and I sat on her couch.
"How's mom?" I said, she shrugged and sat next to me.
"I'll go say hi later. Is she home?" I said, she nodded.
We sat in silence for a bit, then she spoke up.
"I'm sorry about Susan."
I shrugged
She stood up and went towards her kitchen, grabbed two beers and sat down again, offering me one.
"Are you here for the divorce?" She said after taking a sip. I took a sip as well
"Yeah, it's gonna be in a few days." I said, she nodded.
"How are you dealing with things Bobbie?" She was whispering now, knowing about my past.
"Not very good, but I'm trying." I said, she looked at me, then looked at the beer in my hands.
"It's okay, I'll have just another sip." I said.
"I wanna talk to you about something. " I said, she nodded for me to go on
"I have been going out with a girl for a while. Well, girl is an understatement, she's just the greatest. We wanted to invite you and mom tomorrow for a Christmas lunch. I know it sounds horrible and cheesy but please. Leighton is looking forward to it, she doesn't have any family." I said
"What happened to her family?" Allyson asked
"If you think our family is messed up, you have no idea of what her's is like."
She nodded
"Okay. I'll be there. Just ask mom too, ok?" She said and I nodded getting up.
I hugged her one more time before going out and heading to my mom's apartment.
I knocked and waited for about five minutes, then she opened the door.
When she saw me her face lit up, I went straight in to hug her.
"Oh Robert. I missed you."
"I missed you too mom." I whispered in her ear.
I took a good look at her.
She was still round like always, but she looked pale and a little thinner.
"How have you been?" She asked while we sat down in the counter
in her kitchen. She started making me some tea.
"I've been great. I've met this new girl and she's amazing, mom. I couldn't be happier." I said
She looked at me and smiled
"That's great rob."
"I already asked Allyson this, but would you like coming to a Christmas lunch tomorrow at my place? So you can meet her." I said, she nodded happier.
"I wouldn't miss it. You wouldn't believe who came by the other day."
"Who?" I asked
"Your boy Indio. He's so grown up." She said, I was surprised. I decided not to tell her about our encounter because it would lead to tell her about my being drunk and out at 4 am on Christmas Eve.
"Well that's great. Maybe you can ask him to come by too tomorrow."
I said, she nodded
"I will. I'll call him right now." She said, I stood up, not waiting for the tea to finish
I kissed her head
"See you tomorrow." I whispered, and then I was out, heading towards my car.
I lit up a cigarette and started the motor, driving away.