Chapter 2

The cemetery was deathly quiet and I was really starting to regret ever agreeing to this stupid dare. Standing alone in the freezing cold, I secretly hoped a couple of kids might be hanging out amongst the tombstones for Halloween kicks. But since entering the cemetery I hadn't spotted a single soul...

It's now nearly midnight, and I'm standing underneath the branches of the legendary Hangman's Tree waiting for an urban legend to jump out and grab me. I'd probably be freaking out right now if the cold wasn't distracting me. My outfit was not designed to protect me against the cold October night air. Trying to keep my mind off the fact I was standing alone in a creepy graveyard, I focused on trying to pull Laura's lace gloves that extra millimetre up my freezing cold arms.

Violently I shivered - it shouldn't be long now.

I glanced down at my cell phone for the six millionth time and noted the time - 11:55pm. I also noted that my signal bars were registering zero. My gut churned with uneasiness. "Come on Mia," I whispered to myself, "Only five minutes to go and then you can go home."

I hated to admit, but this place was really starting to get to me.

Nervously I scanned the rows of tombstones. I had this weird expectation that a ghost would suddenly pop out and scare the living crap out of me. It had already happened earlier this evening, except it hadn't been a ghost but a a very large owl. It'd swooped down low over my head and landed the branch of a nearby tree. Of course, I had screamed, and felt incredibly stupid when I realised it was nothing but an owl - but for a split second I'd actually thought it might be him, the infamous Prince of Darkness.

I glanced impatiently at my phone again. I'd give the Prince of Darkness another two minutes to come and claim me then I was out of here. Staring at my phone, I watched the digital seconds tick by and quietly urged, "Come on midnight."

The minute changed and my clock read 11:59pm.

"Okay, one minute to midnight is good enough for me." I said.

I took a couple of paces towards the cemetery gates and then stopped as a loud heavy chime cut through the deathly silence. The church bells were tolling - the witching hour had arrived. I glanced once again around the graveyard to see if any ghosts, witches or demons had suddenly decided to join me, but there was no one. It was just me.

The church bells continued to chime, counting out the number of hours and when the final bell chimed I was halfway across the graveyard, running towards the exit. Only now did it dawn on me how stupid it was for a young woman to be out here alone in this isolated place.

Taking my cell phone, I started speaking into it loudly,  "Hey Mom, I'm coming to meet you at the gate. I can almost see you."

There was no one at the end of the phone, but I thought if there was anybody here then they'd seeing me talking to someone on the phone and leave me alone.

The gates appeared in front of me and sweet relief swept over me. Not much further to go and I'd be free.

I picked up my pace, I was eager to get back home and put this awful night behind me. As I neared the path that led straight to the gate, whisky tendrils of white mist started to creep through the railings.

At first the mist was semi-transparent to the point I could still see the gates and the light of the street lamps through it, but as I took another step forward the nature of the mist changed. It grew thicker and denser, and now poured out between the railings, enveloping the gate and path in solid white.