Chapter 14

The pain in my chest was unbearable, the wooden stake was wedged into my heart and I could feel the blood vessels inside of me tearing. My hand rested on top of the wooden stake and wondered if I should pull it out.

Out the corner of my eye saw Luc edging away from me. He stared numbly at the stake protruding out of chest. His face looked gaunt and he kept muttering over and over, “I am sorry Celia.”

“I don’t understand,” I croaked.

Judging by the expression on Luc’s face he did not understand what he was doing either. He raised his hands over his head, grabbing fistfuls of hair and sobbing. He muttered words I could not understand and slunk back into the shadows of the room to watch me die.

I gripped the wooden stake that was protruding out of my chest and fell back against the bed. Blood oozed from my wound and saturated the white satin sheets beneath me. I tried to keep calm by focusing on my breathing but every breath I took was agony.

My mind began to drift and I found myself focusing on the beautiful high vaulted ceilings above me. The ceiling was decorated with mural of angels and cherubs playing with each other in the golden clouds of heaven. From their painted paradise the angels looked down on me, watching as I bled to death.

Mia…” A distant voice of a woman echoed.

That voice. I kept hearing that same voice.

A sudden wrench of pain between my ribs made me gasp in agony. The wooden stake was wriggling around in my chest as my breathing became increasingly shallow and erratic. I tried to keep the stake still with my hands but my hands would not stop shaking.

Unable to bear the pain any longer I made the difficult choice of pulling the stake out of my chest. Closing my eyes I braced myself and yanked the stake out of my chest.

I inhaled sharply and sat bolt upright clutching nothing but air. I looked down and saw that I was in my dorm bed, covered in my blue comforter and wearing my favourite panda pyjamas. There was no blood and no stake.

It had all been a dream- a really bad dream.

I sighed with relief and threw the blankets back. There was a small hand written note on the side of my desk from Luc.

‘Dear Mia,

I hope you slept well. Please forgive me for not waking you. Once the storm had passed I found it impossible to bring myself to wake you. So I carried you too your dorm room instead (do not worry, nobody saw us).

I have left a carton of ‘juice’ in your wardrobe and hope to meet up with you for lunch. In my absence Nico and Jacques will attend to you- please stay with them at all times. They will help keep you safe when I am not there to protect you.

-Luc x’

For a few seconds I felt all mushy at the thought of being lovingly carried across the campus by my dark vampire love. But that delusion was shattered the minute I noticed the pile of clothes that I had been wearing yesterday. I glanced down at my panda pyjamas and realised that I could not have put these on in my sleep.

“Oh my God Luc, you are such a pervert!” I snapped out loud and screwed up his note and threw it across the room.

Not only did that asshole skewer me with a wooden stake in my dreams, he also took advantage of me while I was sleeping. I immediately took off the emerald ring he had given me last night and shoved it in my sock drawer. There was no way I was going to stay married to a creeper.

I officially hated being a vampire.

An hour later I left for college. The storm had passed during the night, making the weather crisp and fresh. Harsh sunlight beat down on my fragile vampire eyes making them water. The sunglasses gave me no relief, which made me wonder how I was going to cope in the summer. I now understood why vampires prefer to be awake during the night.