Chapter 16a

NOTE: Hi guys, from here on I will be doing some serious editing, so expect the next couple of chapters not to match up until they are edited. Plus I will be adding chapters to flesh out the story, so there will be Chapter 16a, Chapter 16b. Once it is all done I will go back and number the chapters correctly.

I will do my best to edit these chapters as quickly as possible to save confusion, but just know that if you decide to continue reading the unedited story there are going to be bits that do not make sense, i.e. Mia being in highschool opposed to uni. Hopefully this will not last long, and remember to check the author's notes chapter to see which chapters have been edited :D

-angeltwist

--------------------------------------------------------

I left the bathroom feeling uncertain about the future. It was strange how fate had its funny little ways of bringing a sprinkle of chaos into our lives. It was almost natural that everyone at some point in their lives should encounter some type of trouble. It was only last year during exam time that I came down with flu, and was forced to sit through three exams in a drugged haze. I knew something bad was going to happen in my final year, I just never imagined that it would have been vampires.

Luc, my estranged vampire/prince/psychopath husband was throwing a tantrum over my relationship with Jack. Admittedly I flirted with Jack to upset Luc, but I never calculated that little my dalliances with Jack would inadvertently place Jack in mortal danger.

My conversation with Henrietta had revealed the depth and danger of Luc’s personality. He was a vampire with a terrible gift capable of great destruction when provoked. In short, Luc was a giant metaphoric hornet’s nest waiting to swarm, and I was the stupid naive girl who had approached that hornet’s nest with a large stick and given it a good poke.

Miserably I knew what I had to do. I would have to find Jack and tell him that I could not be his date to the party, and furthermore I would have to tell him that I could never see or speak to him again … and goodness knows how I was going to accomplish that without coming across as a complete and utter bitch. I guess the one small mercy of this whole fiasco was that I knew exactly where to find Jack. Just like every other college boy with a fitness complex he would be down at the campus gym lifting weights and drinking protein shakes.

So I headed eastward towards the campus gym, travelling at a snail’s pace in a meagre attempt to delay the inevitable. When it came to people I was nothing like Laura Taylor who could be so careless when it came to other’s feelings. I could never hurt someone like she could, and it made me sick to my stomach that I was going to hurt Jack in order to save. Quietly I cursed Luc under my breathe, and then I cursed all vampires for dragging me into this circus. There had to be a way for me to break free…

The gym appeared into view and my heart sunk in my chest when I saw Jack lingering outside the front of the gym with his friends. Jack must have mentioned something about me to his friends because one of his friends recognised me and gently elbowed Jack in the side to point me out.

Jack’s face lit up the moment he saw me. He broke away from his friends and jogged towards me. A massive grin burst across his face and as he moved closer to me his arms lifted upwards indicating that he was going in for the hug.

A cold chill shivered down my spine and a dark voice echoed threatening words into my head. ‘Do not let that boy touch you … I will not tolerate others touching what is rightfully mine.’

I should have been scared of Luc’s threats, but the minute he claimed ownership over me something inside me snapped. Waspishly I retorted, ‘Ugh, stop being so Victorian Luc, and go away.’

I turned my attention back to Jack he was moving towards me in what felt like slow motion with his arms wide opened. Closing my eyes I took a mental breath and psyched myself up for what I was about to do next. Then with eyes wide opened I lifted my hand out and said, “Jack, please do not touch me.”

Jack immediately faltered to a stop before me, and watched in hurt as I moved a couple of steps back wards away from him. He shook his head in disbelief and murmured, “Mia, what the hell is the matter?”

The confused look on his face destroyed me, and I struggled to keep up the pretence. Concentrating I looked at Jack and said flatly, “I am sorry Jack but I cannot see you anymore.”

Behind us, Jack’s friends had twigged on to the unfolding drama. They and a number of other students that were hanging around the gym suddenly fell quiet as they struggled to eavesdrop on our conversation.

Jack stared at me as if I had gone mad. He walked towards me and in a low voice whispered, “Hayden, what the hell is wrong with you.”

At first I did not reply, but eventually I blurted out, “I am sorry Jack, I wish I could explain but please believe me this is for the best.”

I tried to break away but Jack grabbed my shoulder and forced me to turn and face him. Angrily he demanded, “What are you holding back from me?”

I opened my mouth to answer Jack but noticed something or someone else had suddenly caught Jack’s attention.

“Miss Hayden,” Luc’s voice rang out behind me, “Once you have finished your business with this gentleman, I would like to see you in the library.”

I turned my head over my shoulder and saw Luc a few feet behind me. Absent mindedly I replied, “Um… okay.”

Luc nodded and paused, glancing between me and Jack.

‘Do you need my help?’ Luc asked me studying Jack’s grip on my shoulder. His voice was unnervingly calm for someone who just moments ago felt like an emotional volcano on the edge of erupting.

Calmly I replied in my head, ‘Thank you but I have a handle on this.’

“I shall meet you in the library then Miss Hayden,” Luc announced sparing Jack one final dark look before turning away towards the library.

I watched him walk towards the library and I couldn’t help feeling surprised. I honestly thought Luc would have blown up when he saw Jack’s hand on my shoulder, but instead he was calm and totally not the asshole I expected him to be.

“It’s him, isn’t it,” Jack said.

“What,” I murmured not really paying attention.

“You little whore,” Jack suddenly spat, “You have been playing me while screwing around with the sub lecturer.”

I blinked in shock and spluttered, “What- no, you’ve got it all wrong.”

Jack laughed humorlessly, “I knew you were too good to be true.”

His hand dropped from my shoulder and theatrically wiped his hand on his pants like he had touched something vile and disgusting. He then gave me one last dirty look and turned towards his friends muttering under his breath, “You are going to pay for this you dirty little whore.”