Here the Shadows Lie chapters 3-4

Chapter 3 What Am I?

I felt like a real teenager for once, it was truly a miracle. Lori was going to be furious at me since it was almost eleven thirty, I had a guy or close to it waiting in my bedroom, and I might actually get grounded for the ticket I had just received! Surprisingly, I was for the first time, in my life, truly happy with myself. Not including that weird, creepy power stuff. I finally parked in my driveway at about midnight, and Lori, knowing her, might have even called the police by now. I got out of my car, and picked up Valerie from the backseat where she slept. I took a deep, drastic breath, and prepared for the absolute worst.

Lori jumped off the sofa right when the door creaked open," Alexa Lilith Marter!" she bellowed which wasn't normal for her," Where in God's holy name have you been? Did you have any idea what time it is? I could have called the police!"

I just nodded, but knew enough not to explain anything to her. "Damn it Alexa! The mall closes at ten!"

I could feel sweat pouring from my face," My car got towed," I whispered, and shielded myself.

"Got towed!?" her eyes boggled out of her head," give me your keys, Mark take Valerie up to her room," she commanded us both. Mark gave me a nasty glare, and took Valerie out of my hands. Lori sat down on the recliner, and held her head,

"You're grounded, and it's your responsibility to pay for the ticket," she leaned back clearly frustrated," Just go to your room I have nothing else to say to you."

Ok maybe being a real teenager didn't have a lot of advantages, it sucked!

"Whatever, and just so you know I'm glad this is my last year of high school, because I don't think I could stand another year in this house!" I screamed, hoping the neighbors would hear me.

I rushed up the stairs before Lori would respond to my nasty comment, and slammed the door behind me. A crisp chill went off of my spine as I turned around, and there he was again leaning against his usual spot near the window.

"Problems with your....um...Adoptive parents?" he stuttered trying to find the right words.

"You are so lucky you don't have to deal with them. They don't understand anything, and the worst part is I'm just so much different from them!" I spilled unknowingly. He stared at me with large, crystal eyes. Then I had realized how stupid I sounded.

"Whoops...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to release all my anger on to you. I don't have anyone else to vent to."

He glided to sit on the edge of my bed, which startled me," It's alright, it's not your fault that your different. Though these are the things I wanted to explain to you."

I nodded, but didn't move from my doorway.

"Ok, well I'm not really authorized to be telling you this, but I think you have the right to know to an extent about yourself."

I strolled to my window, and sat on the windowsill," Wait; before we start can I at least know your name?"

That's the one thing that really bothered me these last couple nights. He rubbed the back of his neck," My name is Damian, and I'm what you technically are."

I raised my eyebrow," Which is what?

He exhaled," A shadow," he whispered like someone was listening to our conversation.

I shot off from the window," So the red eyed thing was right?! I almost shrieked. Damian... (What an interesting name!) took me by my shoulders, and sat me back down.

"Shh... they'll hear you," then he looked shocked," wait, what do you mean the "red eyed thing"?"

I sat back down, and noticed how close Damian was to me, his facial features were very clear now, his white, glittering skin and not an age to it. I snapped out of my trance, and tried to explain," Tonight, before you met me at my car, I was trapped into an alley by this...guy who resembled us. I'm guessing he was a shadow. He had blazing auburn hair with these red eyes, and he pulled Valerie and me into an alley. He told me things like I'm not human, but my sister was; oh, and something about a master guy trying to take me or something close to that."