Here the Shadows Lie chapter 25

Chapter 25

Breakdown of Beliefs

Nia's 3rd POV

The moment that Nia's feet touched the granite flooring of Kairos's courters she knew that her intentions would be punished right away. She honestly had no plan to get out of the trouble that she had brewed by deciding on another person's fate. Her mind told her that her decision was illogical, and ridiculous, but deep under the layers of evil, and hatred there was a deep sympathy which made her decision worth while.

Nia transported into her apartment, and set down the child on the bed. She had been passed out for a while now, so there was hopefully no chance of her waking up soon. Her lungs exhaled as her fatigued body sat down in a chair on the opposite side of the room still looking at the peaceful child who didn't even know the meaning of life yet.

Nia's hands found her face," What have I done?" she moaned.

Then something entered her mind," Come down at once!" it screeched so loudly her eardrums almost bled.

Nia tried so hard not to scream though the pain was just about unbearable. She succeeded though, but collapsed onto the ground and held herself in a fetal position for a couple seconds. Sighing, she got up to check the child's pulse before she left for whatever punishment was coming for her. At least she saved one life, right? Maybe she wouldn't fully go to hell.

Her conscience told her to just walk through instead of transporting to lengthen the time between seeing Kairos. So she traveled through the volcano going past many of Kairos's followers, adults, teenagers, and even some children and babies were against the walls. There was one room in particular that struck Nia's eye. She remembered that Kairos had called it the "bonding room". Every one of Kairos's followers went into the room to be bonded within, which only changed their eye color to represent Kairos's rein. He had also told Nia that the bonder, one of the abnormals from the Council whom he had captured, would only bond eye color and nothing else because he was devoted to his cause. For this he was beaten every day for refusing Kairos's wishes.

Nia remembered the bonder to be a younger man, older than her, but had been drained of nutrients making him seem older in age. When she came to be bonded he was sitting in a corner chained to the wall, but he still motioned her to sit next to him. His shaggy, dulled black hair was cropped, but not long. Gray was surrounding the black of his hair, as he gazed down to the stone beneath him. Nia sat down next to him, and waited for the man to say something to her. He never lifted his head to her, but something that sounded like a mumble did.

"Amos..." his deep voice cracked.

Puzzled, she responded," Excuse me?"

The man finally raised his head up showing worn out, light blue eyes," It's my name, Amos Re. And whom am I speaking with?"

Nia unfolded her knees into a more comfortable position," Nia...but my full name is Nia Devi," she quietly said.

The bonder sat up, and clapped his hands together," Ah! I can read you already. Nia meaning that you are unusually bright and sophisticated and Devi meaning Goddess of Power, meaning you are sensationally powerful mentally, and physically. Am I correct?"

A small smile played along her lips as she nodded to the complete stranger. His charcoaled colored hand grazed upon her white face," Such a lovely face also. What has brought you to this horrid place if you don't mind me asking?"

Nia felt old sorrow course her body from the memory," That's none of your concern," she spat.

The man's smile depleted, but he didn't push her anymore about the situation.