Here the Shadows Lie 21-22

Chapter 21

Bounded? Or Grounded? Same Difference.

Alexa's POV

We didn't spend any more time in Verona, because after we finished our coffee, and conversation Damian became extremely distressed about something I wasn't aware of. It was plain obvious on his face that something was wrong, but he put his transparent mask on hoping I wouldn't see through his lie.

Though it just got worse after that.

I transported back with Damian to the forest with what was left of the cabin, to find that it was all aflame. The branches were consumed in a fiery death of fire and smoke that made the air around it hard to breath. His face glared at the scene, but didn't seem surprised in the slightest, though I was. All I knew was that I was afraid, for both of us. So I grabbed his muscular hand, and transported all the way back into my car behind the abandoned building wondering what was on Damian's mind.

I placed my hands tightly around the steering wheel, then stared at his hard face that looked at nothing, waiting for some sort of direction.

"Just drive home," was all that slipped out of his hardened expression.

I shuddered at the deadly tone of his voice, though obeyed his command. My hand pulled the car into gear, and backed out of the space quickly.

We arrived at my house in a matter of minutes, and Damian immediately stepped out of my car cursing under his breath. He paced, and then spun around in my direction giving me a grave expression.

"Is Lori home?" he mumbled.

I nodded," She doesn't work today. Why?"

He swore louder," We have to get inside."

"We can just transport inside, can't we?" I asked, still wanting to know what was going on with him.

"No! We can't, if one of us transports....someone will find us. I...we can't risk it."

I was taken aback by his sudden outburst," Fine, we'll just go through the front door. You can erase Lori's memories later."

I headed for the front door when I swore I heard him mumble," If there even is a later for me."

I ignored it, and slid the door open slowly. If Lori found me I was dead meat for two reasons. One, I wasn't at school, two I was bringing a random guy up to my bedroom, and that looked really good to an over protective mother.

I examined the room, the coast was clear. I signaled Damian with my hand to come in quickly. He came up behind me, and followed closely as I lead him quietly up the stairs. That was when I heard my name, and it didn't sound to great to hear it at that point.

"Alexa? Where do you think you are going?" I heard Lori say behind me.

My heart raced, as I thought of some excuse that I would get away with.

"Up to my room. We had our...umm....senior retreat today, so we got out early. And, um...Damian here lost the key to his house, so I offered him a ride back to my place since it's so cold out there."

I felt like slapping myself that was probably the worse excuse I had made in a long time. Damian started to tense, and I had the urge to put my hand on his shoulder, but kept to myself since Lori was still inspecting us.

To my relief she relaxed.

"Well then, you are welcome to stay as long as you like Damian," Lori encouraged; knowing that inside she was probably shaking of excitement of me bringing an actual person home.