Here the Shadows Lie chapter 24

Chapter 24

Change of the Essence

Alexa's POV

All I heard was the sound of the blood pumping through my skull. My body gave me a slight warning that I shouldn't move if I didn't want to experience soreness. Though I was a stubborn teenager, nothing could stop me at doing stupid things. So my eyes shot open as I tried to lift myself up. I immediately experienced the worst aching pain that was weighing me down to whatever I was laying on. Instantaneously, my shoulders gave out dropping myself onto the semi-soft material underneath me. I whimpered at the throbbing consuming every part of me wishing I could remember what had happened.

I sucked up the pain for a second, and lifted my stiff neck to scrutinize the strange surroundings. Everything was dark except for the bits of room that radiantly were lit by small candles. Confusion swept my mind as I contemplated where I was, but nothing came to me. I had never been there in my life, and I had no clue how I had got there. I needed some sort of answer to why I was there, so I struggled to move my legs over the ledge of the bed type thing that was holding me up. Yet, just as my first leg shifted the slightest bit I was stopped by a muscular hand on my chin.

"Alexa please don't move...you're going to hurt yourself," the most familiar voice pleaded.

I almost cracked a smile when I heard the security of his silky voice again. I concealed myself knowing that I had to keep some of my scarce dignity.

"Like you of all people would care in the slightest if I was to hurt myself or not, give me a break Damian," I said, though winced afterward from the heavy throbbing filling my chest.

He sighed gently pushing my leg back onto the cot, and didn't retort. He sat at the edge of the bed, and muttered to either himself or to me," I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

I bit my lip to stop myself from yelling at him. He didn't mean for any of this to happen? Then why did he leave!? That's when all of the memories of what happened before I had passed out came flooding back into my head.

They were all gone...and it was my entire fault for just being myself.

My lip quivered holding back the tears that I longed to just let loose. I slowly sat up with a little of Damian's help, and I managed to sit upright holding my knees to my chest.

"They're gone..." I choked, and rested my head on my knees.

Damian only nodded a bit, sinking his head lower letting his dark hair fall over his face.

It physically hurt to cry, and I didn't want to. The pain that rested in my soul was unbearable, and it could never be fixed. Not by myself, and not by Damian. I wouldn't allow him to repair the holes in my heart of where everything that I once held close to me used to be. It was too fresh in my mind, and I was too numb to even react to the sorrow.

"Damian..." I whispered, my voice still concealed with the small lump in my throat," where are we?"

His head shot up from the trance he was locked into," A ritual house."

"A what?" I asked.

Damian exhaled," It is a place where Shadows hold rituals for their dead."

My eyes gazed deep into his knowingly," Where...Shadows hold rituals....does that mean...." I stopped dead in my tracks.

He nodded," Yeah, you're in the Shadow Dimension Alexa," he muttered with no expression or enthusiasm.

My breathing became shallow as I tried to process what Damian just had told me. I was actually in the Shadow Dimension the actual place I was born, and should have been raised. Though it should have meant more to me, but since I...couldn't rebel towards my parents there was no reason to want to leave Earth. It didn't matter anymore they were all gone, and it made me choke up again.