Here the Shadows Lie 17-18

Chapter 17

Uneasy Apologies

Alexa's POV

"What are you doing here Alexa?" his bitter voice asked in a tone that was all too familiar to me. The tone of pure resentment.

I honestly wanted to crawl into a hole where no one could ever find me, and just die in there. Why did he hate me so much? I mean, yeah I told him I hated him, but I didn't really mean it! Damian depised the very look of me, he couldn't glance without flinching, or staring at his feet. I wanted to loathe him, hate him, despise him, anything! I just didn't have the strength to fight against myself, it was too hard. Yet, it was like Damian was pushing me to fight against my true emotions for him, because he didn't feel the same way. So every time I took a step closer to him, he took five steps back. It was a lovelorn affliction that I had to grin and bear, though I was bawling my eyes out.

Way to go Alexa.

I shrugged irritated, trying to cover the tears falling off my cheeks," I don't know anymore," I replied as my voice cracked.

I couldn't read his expression that he was giving me. His eyes were the slightest bit sympathetic, yet an indescribable rage flashed red in his light crystal. It was a mix of concern, and anger, and knowing Damian it could have gone either way.

"Please Alexa, before you jump to conclusions let me explain myself..." he pleaded, knowing that I had saw him with that demon.

I glared at him, the tears finally started to dry, sticking to my face uncomfortably," How am I not supposed to draw conclusions? You were talking to him, smiling. You might have well sold your soul to the guy!"

The troubled boy sat on a boulder, and put a hand through his hair in frusteration, and I still glowered at him.

"Alexa, I have expectations, limits for myself. I am not about to sell my soul over to him, let alone yours. He wanted me to, but he already knew the answer was no. If you don't believe me, I have proof."

I cocked my head," Oh really? Do you mind me showing me, because I really don't believe a word that you just said," I spat.

Damian sighed, and reluctantly stretched out his hand. I was hesistant to take it, but I wanted to see his "proof" if it was actually there.

The same electric shock coursed through my body, but I decided to ignore it, it didn't mean anything anyways. We were taken within the fast chill, that I had already became accustomed to, and ended up back at the cabin. I gasped.

It was charred to a crisp.

Everything was black, the wood, or whatever was left of it was drenched in smoke and leftover flame. Sage had done this, no doubt about that, and that means that he was telling the truth. Wonderful....

" Believe me yet? Or do I have to convince you further?" he asked miserably, not once acknowledging my presence.

I weakly gave him a look of understanding, not knowing what would come out of my mouth. I rubbed my shoulder, and stared down at my feet awkwardly.

There was a long silence between our tense bodies, and neither of us dared say anything. We just stared at the burning wood, and smoke coming for the remains of the cabin. Ashes were now filling the frigid atmosphere compacting itself with the already melancholy clouds when Damian finally stirred from his trance.

"Why aren't you in school? It's only ten o' clock."

I sighed, that was so typical of him.

I shrugged," Christmas break?" though it came out like more of a question than an answer.