Here the Shadows Lie chapter 28

Chapter 28

Breathe

Alexa's POV

I had a very nice view of the sky from where I was gasping for air. I probably ran not even half of a mile before I collapsed onto the ground trying to suck air into my parched lungs. I was so out of shape, but the clouds looked pretty from where I was laying. Then Kaige's head blocked their view as he gazed down at me shaking his head laughing.

"Nice body, but terrible stamina," he teased," I'm going to have to whip you into shape!"

It sounded like he was enjoying the idea a little too much. I rolled my eyes as he stretched out his hand towards me. I was hesistant to take it because the fatigue was starting to rush through my body. He chuckled, picking me up off the ground as I groaned loudily at him.

"Quit complaining you're worse than Draven," Kaige said as I leaned on his shoulder for support.

I rolled my eyes as I pushed him away from me. He let me go willingly, but was satisfied when I stumbled over a tree root. My palms broke my fall courageously, skinning themselves to keep my face in tact. I got up quickly brushing the dirt from my shirt and pants not once looking at Kaige who was laughing quietly behind me.

I kept walking away from him hoping to get to the castle before Emmalia woke up, and so I could actually fall asleep too. My body was disoriented from the lack of sleep and tears, but I still struggled onward trying to find the stupid fort.

"Umm...Alexa? Where are you going?" I heard from a bit of a distance.

"Back." I didn't bother to turn around.

Kaige chuckled under his breath," You're going the wrong way."

I moaned drastically outloud and threw my hands upward towards the sky hoping that lightning would have just striked me down right then and there. I waited a couple seconds just for the heck of it, but of course nothing happened except Kaige laughed louder. With whatever dignity I could muster up, I turned in the opposite direction and passed the frustrating Shadow.

Damian was not half as bad as this.

I stormed away from Kaige mumbling under my breath about how men, especially Shadows are immature and mean. I stopped though thinking of what happened to me when I ditched Damian because of my immaturity. I turned towards a tree instead and sat under it waiting for Kaige to catch up with me. He ended up sitting next to me faster than I thought he would have. I yawned searching the sky above me dreamily trying not to think of Valerie or any of them. It took all my strength, but I won for the first time. Kaige finally spoke up then.

"So what are you really doing here Alexa?"

I tilted my head towards a cloud that resembled what I thought to be flames. I honestly didn't have an answer to Kaige's question besides the fact of helping Damian, which I wasn't able to tell him.

"You know Kaige....if I knew I would be a lot less confused. I mean I just found out I was a Shadow a month ago? I hardly know how to control my transporting, and I don't know anything about the Shadow Dimension, or my godmother, or you."

I stopped my rant there so he could understand what I was implying. Kaige didn't seem taken back, or confused at all. It was worse, his face had a miserable look to it.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...." I said, but I really didn't know what I was sorry for.

"No, it wasn't you. My father Amos Re...I lost him four years ago to Kairos and his army. He's been held hostage for years now if he's still alive, and as many times as I've begged Draven to send a search party just to get him out he wouldn't let me." he glared angrily but tried to cool himself, "My father told me so much about your family, and a little bit about you because he is your godfather."