Chapter 1

I screeched as Xavier swerved to avoid a poor raccoon that had run across the road. He chuckled at my reaction so I hit him in the arm, hard. "That didn't even hurt, Carrie," he taunted me. "And that raccoon is fine. I didn't hit him."

     "I hate you."

     "You love me. How can you not?!" Xavier exclaimed. I glared at him and he laughed.

     "Would you just drive?" I growled. It was silent for a few minutes till we pulled up to his house which was right next to mine. But I live by myself. My parents died three months ago and left their entire fortune to me. It was a lot of money and I'm actually a billionaire. Elise and William, Xavier's parents, are practically my second parents.

     "Carrie, come on," he groaned as I jumped out of the car and grabbed my school bag before walking over to my house. "Carolina Abigail Groves, stop!" I whipped around and glared at him.

     "Don't say my full name!" I hissed. He just muttered something under his breath and I took that moment to sprint inside my house and lock the door. Then I proceeded to lock all the windows and doors in the house for good measure.

     I came downstairs to find Xavier sitting at my kitchen counter, eating my Cinnamon Toast Crunch that had only one more serving left in it. "XAVIER!" I yelled. He jumped in surprise and dropped the plastic bowl full of cereal and milk. "Out. Just get out. I want to be alone."

     He sighed but obliged. Still, he tried to give me a hug on the way out but I moved away. I cleaned up the spilled food and locked the front door again before unlocking the backdoor and going into my extensive garden.

     "Clover?" I called out. A few seconds later my chocolate brown bunny came out from under a large camellia flower. "Hi, sweetheart." I bent down to her level and gathered her in my arms. She has underground tunnels that lead in and out of the house. But she prefers the garden, usually, during the day while I'm at school. Bet it makes her feel like a wild bunny.

     I walked around my garden and neared my pavilion. What I came to see was a nightmare. "XAVIER!" I screeched. Footsteps came pounding, disappearing for a few seconds as he jumped over the fence, and Xavier appeared at my side.

     "Oh my god." Xavier breathed. A body, a man, laid at an unnatural angle in the middle of my pavilion which had a gaping hole in it. Next to the man was a broom and a stick.

     Clover squirmed in my arms I let her down, robot like. "Xavier," I whispered. "Who is he?"

     It was like my voice sent Xavier into a mission of some sort. He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the fence that divided our yards. My heels dragged and I stood as stiff as a board. Xavier resorted to pulled me into his arms bridal-style as he easily jumped the fence after mumbling some weird words.

     "Dad!" Xavier yelled as he entered his large house. Will appeared with Elise a few steps behind him. She grabbed me from her son's arms and held me close to her.

     Xavier finished whispering to his father and his face turned the same pale color as Xavier. "Death Eaters!" Will roared. That's what snapped me out of my trance.

     "What? Death beaters?" I said. Elise shushed me.

     "No, Death Eaters. They're followers of Voldemort. There has been many things that we haven't told you and we need to tell you now," Will said. Xavier remained quiet.

     "Chloe," Elise called my dog for me. I had seizers when I was young and can still have them today. Chloe is a service dog and my best friend, even before Xavier. "Come."

     Chloe came running from my house and into the Clayton household. She settled in front of me and looked towards me, nestling her head in my hand.

     "Just for precaution," Xavier said, more to himself than anything. "Let's talk in the living room. It's probably better if you sit down."

     I moved as if I was in a dream. Chloe led me to a large couch and sat while I laid down. She rested her head in my lap and licked my hands, getting my attention and had me pet her.

     "Carrie, Will and Xavier are wizards. I'm a muggle, non-magical people. You're a muggle too. Your parents were wizards, or a witch in your mother's case. But they weren't your birth-parents. They adopted you when they found they were unable to have children. You may have been a muggle but they loved you just the same. Lydia and Trevor were killed by the same people who killed that man in your pavilion, Death Eaters," Elise explained. I completely froze and Chloe rubbed her head all over my torso, trying to get a response.

     "Carrie, please, talk to us," Xavier begged me. "This is real. Believe me, I didn't believe them when they told me at a young age."

     "I-I believe you. But only because Chloe isn't growling at you," I said quietly. "Is that what you mumbled?" Xavier looked extremely confused. "While you jumped over the fence with me in your arms."

     "Xavier James Clayton!" Will roared. "You have the trace on you. We have to get Carrie out of here before the Ministry sends a summons."

     Will had me follow him to the front door. Chloe followed me and growled at the door as we approached it. I jumped backwards because when Chloe growls, she senses someone or if someone is lying.

     "Elise, get her out of here and take Xavier. It's Bellatrix Lestrange!" Will hissed as he looked through the eyehole. Elise muffled a sob as she pulled me towards the back door.

     "Xavier, come on. You aren't strong enough to take on a Death Eater and you have to help me protect Carrie. If she has a seizure, I won't be able to carry her. I'm not strong enough and I'm a muggle," Elise begged her son. He started running with his mother and I quickly followed.

     A large explosion blew up the house moments after we had ran out. "Dad!" Xavier
yelled in vain.

     Elise quickly followed with a shout of, "Will!" Xavier grabbed her as she tried to run back into the building.

     "Well this is a sight to see. Two muggles, a half-blood, and a dog," a crazed voice drawled. I whipped around to find a slim woman with wild black curls and a demonic look in her black eyes.

     "Chloe, Clover and go." I ordered. Chloe took off and went to find Clover. Then they would escape into the woods till Xavier or I would come and find them. They could live off the land.

     "Silence, muggle!" said the woman. I'm guessing she's Bellatrix Lestrange. The name would make sense. "Come here or I'll kill your little half-blood boy toy." I gazed at Xavier and moved towards Bellatrix.

     She grabbed my hair in a fist and put a stick against my neck. "Do you know what this is?" Bellatrix taunted. I shook my head no since my mouth was closed tightly. "It's a wand and I can kill you with it."

     The wand went away from my neck and pointed towards Xavier. "You leave your wand in your pocket. Better yet, Dolohov!" Black smoke came out from the house and formed a person, making Xavier drop Elise and reach for his pocket.

     "Not so fast, half-blood!" Dolohov snarled. Bellatrix held my hair tighter and turned on her heel, throwing me into blackness with a crack.