Chapter 27

I poked George in the stomach. "I still think it's rude you call your daughter Toothless." George laughed. 

     "She has no teeth," he argued. 

     "That gives you no warrant-" George covered my mouth. "Oh, so we're playing the cut-each-other-off game, now are we?"

     "Cate, please, for once, listen to me and be quiet." His system seemed to be on high alert and his eyes were searching for something. 

     George stood up and took off towards our bedroom. I quickly followed but screamed at what I saw. 

     A man stood over Emma's cradle as she watched him. "Hush little baby don't say a word, Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird. And if that mockingbird don't sing, Daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring."

     "Back away from my daughter!" George yelled. 

     The man chuckled and turned around. "You mean my daughter. Carolina, why don't you tell your wrongfully chosen husband what you did some time ago?"

     I moved forward and raised my hands. Magic swirled around me. "Xavier," I whispered. 

     "Yes, love?"

     "George, I did nothing. Xavier, I think, has the delusion that Emma is his daughter. My husband was not wrongfully chosen as I chose George. You were never in the picture, Xavier. All you wanted was the old me; the one you remember from before my capture."

     Emma's body was swathed in golden light and she disappeared from the cradle. George held Emma tightly against him as she cried. "Wrong," Xavier growled. 

     "You love me, you always have. I grew up with you and even though you were a Muggle, I loved you," Xavier rambled. "The child is mine. You know that as well as I do. She is a product of our love, Carrie-"

     "Her name is Catherine Eliane Weasley. She married me, George Weasley, because she loves me. Our daughter, my daughter, is named Emmaline Ginerva Faye Weasley and is most certainly not your child." George handed Emma to me before moving beside me. 

     "Emma has blue eyes, from me, and red hair to match her father, uncles, aunts, and grandparents," I added. "You have no grounds and I want you out of George and I's house."

     Xavier laughed. "You think I have no reasoning? Be sure to watch my daughter. Someday, she may want to know who her real father is." He apparated out of the flat. 

     George and I quickly searched the flat and shop after we contacted Aurors along with our family. 

     "You say his name is Xavier James Clayton?" An Auror asked. I nodded. 

     "I grew up with him before I was kidnapped. He's been obsessed with me every since and believes my daughter is his." George's arm tightly held my waist and I leaned into him gratefully. 

     "He broke into our flat!" yelled George. "Can't you track him, or something?"

     "George," Harry walked up. "There's no way to actually track him. He's not an underage wizard so he doesn't have the trace."

     Tonks entered the flat and began yelling. "Who the bloody hell touched my goddaughter?!" 

     I pulled away from George and barreled into her arms. "It was Xavier," I whispered. She held me in a deathgrip. 

     "Xavier Clayton broke into the flat at 9:25 p.m. We know that from the alarm that he disarmed before apparating in. His whereabouts are unknown at the moment but we believe he will come back," the Auror told Tonks. "We believe he was attempting to take Emmaline Weasley from her crib."

     "He can't get into the crib," George joined the conversation once more. "Cate has a shield surrounding Emma whenever she's not with either of us or with someone we trust. It's probably the only thing that kept Xavier from grabbing Emma when he arrived."

     "Is there anywhere you could stay for the time being? Preferably a place that Xavier Clayton would not know much about," the Auror asked. 

     Tonks jumped on the question. "My place! They can stay with Remus and I."

     "Mr. Lupin," the Auror spotted Remus talking with Dad and Aunt Molly. "Your wife has offered your house for the Weasley family to stay."

     "I expected they would stay with us." Remus started our way. "They never drive or walk to our house. It's either apparation or the Floo Network."

     The Auror nodded. "Auror Taylor, if that is all," Tonks rubbed my shoulder, "can we leave?"

     "A few Aurors will be guarding your house. Auror Potter and Weasley have recently finished their training. Would you like them to be apart of your security detail?" Auror Taylor asked. 

     "That would be for the best," George spoke. 

     "I'll go pack a few things," I said. With a snap of my fingers, two weeks worth of outfits for all three of us were in a truck enchanted with the undetectable extension charm. 

     I walked away after taking Emma but I heard whispering behind me. "She's the best that she's ever been. Xavier coming back will bring back terrible memories that she has left behind for a reason. Whatever he wants, maybe Emma, maybe Cate, are all at risk for physical and mental harm," George whispered. His voice wavered and I could tell he was trying hard not to cry. A few tears slid down my cheeks. 

      The door to George and I's room had been left open. But along with the door, the window was unlocked as we did check the street on our search. "We could disappear, Emma. I could take you where we would never be found. I did it for a number of years . . ."

     My mind was clear of any other thoughts as the breeze moved the curtains surrounding the window. "It wouldn't be that hard," I whispered. Emma giggled as she spotted something in her cradle. 

     Hermione and Ron's gift to Emma lay in the bottom of the white crib. The pale yellow knitted blanket seemed to slap me as I stared at it. "But we can't leave. If I leave again, I'll never come back. You need a father, and I need George."

     I grabbed the small bag before returning to the main part of the flat. "I'm ready to go." I sent a small smile up to George as he kissed the top of my head. 

     "Follow the yellow haired Tonks, follow the yellow haired Tonks . . ."