Chapter 28

"Why does he think something is going on between you two?" Tonks sat on the counter and held Teddy as she bottle fed him. 

     "I have no idea. But I truly think he's insane. Maybe I had something for him before . . ." I sighed. "But after, I realized that I wasn't the same person. The person I became was part of the Weasleys. I was a Weasley before I even legally had the name. Xavier, the way he found me, was creepy and there was no way I was the girl he knew."

     Tonks burped Teddy before letting him sit on the ground with Emma in the kitchen. I watched the two as they interacted. Emma slowly stood up with the help of pushing Teddy to the ground. 

     He proceeded to cry until he realized no one was coming to help him. "How's Remus enjoying work?" I changed the subject. 

     "Working at Hogwarts again is his dream. Sirius said he was made for teaching," Tonks grinned. Her hair flashed a few different colors and gained the attention of the kids. 

     "Blue!" Emma shrieked. "Blue!"

     I clapped in happiness. "That's her first word!" 

     Tonks' hair turned a dark shade of blue before teal, turquoise, and sky blue. Her son tried to imitate his mother but could only flash a bit of dark blue along with a few other shades. 

     "My baby girl," I cooed. She giggled and played with Teddy's hair as it frantically changed colors. 

     "Is this Xavier thing causing anything between you and George?" Tonks inquired. 

     I washed a few carrots and began to cut them the Muggle way before replying. "All it's done is make George more protective. I'm not complaining, as it's actually really hot," I flushed pink while Tonks laughed, "but nothing bad has happened."

     "I'm glad you three are here, yet I wish it was under different circumstances," Tonks sighed. She moved me over and attempted to cut the carrots with magic. 

     "You can't cook, Tonks. Somehow, you've managed to burn water yesterday," I chuckled. 

     The knife I was using earlier implanted itself in the cutting board. "Quit changing the subject!" Tonks yelled. 

     I went silent but continued to make chicken noodle soup for lunch. "Xavier was there to kidnap your daughter. We can't just ignore that. Every time I try to talk to you about it you speak a sentence or two before changing it. I'm trying to understand how you feel."

     "Tonks," I whispered. She walked over and took the celery out of my hands. "I'm terrified. My problem is that when things get hard or scary, I run away. I did that once before and I nearly did that again. Emma was in my arms, the window was open, and the breeze swept into the room. There was nothing stopping me. We would be hidden as I know how to disappear. 

     "I did it for years. But then Emma saw her blanket from Hermione and I couldn't leave then. It's as if all my common sense disappeared for a few seconds before it came crashing back to me. I grabbed our bag and quickly left the room to avoid the urge of running away. Tonks, I almost did it. I nearly left George and my family again because I was scared."

     Tonks stood and watched me as words spilled out of me. She moved slowly, arms outstretched until rapid knocking was heard on the front door. 

     "Stay here," Tonks told me. She left the kitchen with her wand. I gathered Emma and Teddy in my arms. 

     It was quiet until I heard laughing from the entryway. "Cate, it's Molly," Tonks called to me. 

     I made my way to where Aunt Molly stood with Tonks. "Hi, sweetie!" Aunt Molly pulled me into a loose hug as to not squish the children. 

     "I was just making lunch. Would you like to join us?" I offered. 

* * *

I lay in bed as I felt my temperature rise. "Just leave me here to die!" 

     "You're being quite dramatic," Remus commented. 

     "Dramatic?!" George yelled. "I'll show you dramatic!"

     Tonks grabbed the redhead. "Woah there. You don't need to outdo your wife." 

     "Bloody buzzkill," George grumbled. 

     "Are you sure you'll be okay alone?" Remus asked. I nodded and watched as Tonks laughed. 

     "Aunt Molly's coming in twenty minutes. I'll be fine for those long, long times," I chuckled. George went to kiss me but I hid my head under the duvet. "I don't wanna get you sick."

     He sighed and kissed the top of my head. "Mum will give you something to help your sinus. I love you, Cate."

     "Love you too, Georgie," I teased as I poked my head out of the covers to look at him. 

     The four gathered up Teddy and Emma before disapparating. Tonks had decided staying at home was too boring. So, each Saturday we found something new to do. Today was the day we were supposed to see Big Ben in London. 

     I picked up a book from the nightstand and read the title. "Quidditch Through the Ages," I mused. "Never thought I'd be bored enough to read this." 

     "Sports were never your forte, Carrie," a crisp voice rang through the air. I stiffened and looked towards the window. 

     Xavier stared at me through the open window. His hand seemed to press against the air in the middle of the window but I knew better. "Are the charms too strong for you, Xavier?" I inquired. 

     With no way to contact anyone, I had to hope the charms held up long enough for Aunt Molly to arrive. "I have at least twenty minutes till that redhead woman comes to you supposed rescue," he spat the word. "These charms aren't that strong."

     "Hermione Granger made those charms. Strong is definitely in her vocabulary," I growled. Since the end of the war, I had grown close to Hermione as she was dating Ron. 

     "That Mudblood?" Xavier scoffed. He pulled out his wand and began to mutter incantations. 

     I slowly got out of bed and faced the window. "Leave me and my family alone," I hissed. Light flew through my veins as I held my palms towards him. His eyes widened when light shot towards him. 

     When the light cleared, I saw the hole in the charms around the house. Yet Xavier was nowhere to be found. "I'm more clever than you thought, Carrie," his breath shot down my neck. 

     My powers were drained as I turned to face him. He towered over me and I made one last attempt to use my powers. "Pathetic," he muttered. 

     I had no time to duck as his elbow swung towards my head, filling my head with darkness.