Chapter 14

"You're okay, I'm here," George held me close as I mentally shut down. I had most of my memory back before Xavier confronted me. But everything was coming back.

A knock sounded on the door. "Carrie? Are you in there?" Xavier asked. I started crying harder and held onto George tighter.

"Get the bloody hell away from here!" George shouted. "Go the bloody hell away, you wanker!"

There was a grunt of pain. "Didn't you hear him?" Fred's voice was full of anger. "She doesn't want to see you!"

"I didn't hear her say that, only that idiot!" Xavier hissed.

"G-Go aw-away!" I sobbed.

It was silent for a few moments. But then there was two grunts of pain as something was yelled. George's wand was in his hand as I crawled under his bed.

"Where is she? Where is Carrie?!" Xavier's voice was frantic and my breathing became uneven. I looked out from under the bed and saw two wands pointed at each other.

     I want that wand . . . I thought of the wand Xavier held. My hand extended from the bed and glowed white before the wand flew from Xavier's hand and into my outstretched hand.

     George stepped in front of my view as I climbed out. I held the wand and looked at it in fascination. "Accio wand!" Xavier yelled. But a white light encased the wand and it didn't move towards Xavier. "Accio!"

     "Stupefy!" George yelled. Xavier flew back into the wall and crashed to the floor. I dropped his wand and raced out the door. Fred was unconscious on the ground but Charlie was no where to be seen. He had walked me to the Gryffindor Common Room and stayed outside the door.

      George's footsteps were heard behind me and I raced off. The portrait hole, which was the entrance and exit to the Gryffindor Common Room, was opening and I dove through it.

I just kept running. Xavier would find me again, just as he did in the castle and in the boys' dorm.

"Cate! Please, wait!" George yelled after me. My feet echoed on the floors of the expansive castle.

Hands grabbed me and I tried to scream. "Cate! Cate! It's me, Charlie!"

I looked up and saw the burly redhead. "Can I come with you? To where you work with the dragons?" I asked.

Charlie looked bewildered at my asking. "What?"

"Can I come to where you work with dragons?" I practically begged. "But I don't want anyone to know where I am, just that I'm safe."

"You want to go to Romania with me?" Charlie was still greatly confused. I nodded and he pulled me into a small alcove that was hidden in the shadows.

Charlie's strong hands gripped my forearms and I looked up at him, pleading that my wish would be granted. "What about my mother? Could she know?"

I nodded with begging eyes. "Fine, we'll stop by the Burrow. Can you please write a letter first to George? We'll have Errol take it to him in the morning," Charlie started walking towards what I believe was where the Headmaster's Office was. "We're Flooing to the Burrow."

Charlie mentioned a password that I ignored and we climbed the spiral staircase. Professor Dumbledore was nowhere to be seen. I grabbed a handful of the grey Floo powder and stepped into the fireplace with Charlie.

I threw the Floo powder down while Charlie yelled, "the Burrow" and we were off through the green flames.

"Molly?" I called out once we stumbled out of the fireplace. A crash was heard and then Molly appeared out of the kitchen.

"Oh, Cate, dear," she whispered as she pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

Charlie placed a hand on his mum's shoulder and she released me. "Charlie, what are you doing here? Not that I'm not glad to see you, it's just that you have a job!" Molly corrected herself.

"Mum, Xavier keeps finding Cate wherever she is. He keeps confronting her and the memories come back each time he does," Charlie said.

"I'm scared of him, Molly," I whispered. She held my left hand in between her two hands.

"I'll make sure he doesn't come around here-" Charlie cut her off.

Molly looked at her son in confusion. "I want to go where he can't find me, ever. I want to go to Romania and help him with the dragons. I-I'll study them and learn how to heal them using my powers. Please, Molly," I begged. Molly looked helpless as she looked between the two of us.

"But what about George?" Molly worriedly asked. "What did you tell him?"

Tears sprouted in my eyes thinking of my redheaded Weasley boy. "He can't know where I am. Xavier might track me through him. But I will send letters to him through Charlie. Molly, I'm begging you, please let me just g-go," my voice cracked as I thought about leaving George on my own. "This is my way of keeping everyone safe, because as you said yourself while I was in a coma, Voldemort-" they both flinched at the name, "-will come after me at some point. I don't want you to be hurt. Charlie can Apparate me somewhere remote if Voldemort does come before he gets away. He'll be safe too."

Molly looked completely torn at what I was asking. She was like my mother. Between wanting me here and protecting the rest of her family, it was a tough decision. "Do you love him? And I mean truly love him?" Molly finally asked after minutes of silence.

"Enough to leave him to keep him safe. I love him so much that even I don't want to leave, but it'll keep him safe. I love him, Molly, and I will come back someday," I softly spoke as silent tears rolled down my cheeks. "This is my way of protecting him. It will make him different, yes, but he'll be safe."

Charlie led me over to the worn couch in the living room as I cried. He soon left my side but returned with a piece of parchment, inkwell, and a quill. "T-Thank you," I whispered. He nodded and pulled Molly out of the room.

I dipped the quill in the opened ink bottle and began writing my letter to George.

Dear George,

It's me, Cate, although you can probably tell from the writing. I wanted to write this letter but now I don't know what to say. A few tears fell my cheek and onto the parchment, leaving tear stains on the yellowing page. I'm writing this because I love you, and because I see this as the only way to protect you. You may be angry at me, I understand that, but hear me out.

Voldemort - don't flinch, it's just a name - will come for me at some point. My powers, being what they are, will unleash themselves and I don't want you to get hurt. He will kill anyone and everyone who knows where I am to find me and I can't let that happen. I love you too much for that to happen. George Weasley, I don't just love you, I'm in love with you which is completely different.

If you find someone else that you love, go with them because if they make you happy, then I'm happy. Don't worry, I'll come back someday. My favorite memory of us was when I came to the Burrow, terrified and scared out of my wits.

Do you remember when you said that you would always protect me and be there? I certainly remember that and now I'm just returning the favor. But things happen and someone else may give you what I can't right now. What you said made me realize what I felt wasn't something from a dream but something that rarely happens in the real world. It's what your parents have, what Lily and James Potter had, what we have and I'm in love with you.

George, tears fell from my eyes rapidly, I don't want to loose you and this is my way of making sure that doesn't happen. I'm in love with you and I always will be, even in death.

I'll be back, someday, I promise.

Love,

Your Cate.