Chapter 26

"Muh-me," I tried to sound out my name. Yet at 4 months old, she wasn't able to talk. Aunt Molly said it's normal but I've never even held a baby before let alone raise one. 

     "Can you say Muh-me?" I asked. Emma cooed at me and I sighed. "Let's get you dressed for Teddy's birthday."

     I lifted Emma out of her high chair and walked into her room. She mostly slept in her own room but she occasionally stayed in George and I's room with us. 

     "Where's my baby girl?" George called out. 

     "Emma's room!" I replied. "Now where is that outfit Tonks got you?" 

     "Are you looking for this one?" George asked as he walked behind me. He wrapped his arms around me and put a small bundle of clothes on the changing table. Emma stared at us as she sat up. Sitting up is a new trick she learned and loves to show off. 

     I picked up the onesie. It was white with an elephant holding a flower with its trunk. A pair of white leggings decorated with tiny pink and blue flowers along with green stems covered all available space. 

     "I was wondering where this went," I exclaimed. Emma burst into a fit of giggles as George kissed my cheek. 

     George leaned towards my cheek again but his eyes were on Emma. He kissed my cheek and Emma fell in a bout of giggling. "Why is that so funny?" George chuckled. 

     "I don't know," I giggled. "But I do need to get Emma dressed or else we're going to be late . . ."

     "Not it!" George yelled. I raised an eyebrow. "I changed her diaper last time. It's your turn."

     "You use magic!" I exclaimed. "Try changing a diaper without magic."

     His mouth flapped open and closed like a fish. "You can use your powers!" George finally came up with.

     I sighed and finished putting Emma in her outfit for the day. But she's bound to get it dirty anyways. "I don't have that good of coordination with my powers anymore. Remember when I tried to get breakfast ready that one morning on our honeymoon?"

     George grumbled yet Emma giggled. "I'll change her diaper. But you've already put clothes on her," he tried to changed the subject.

     "We'll give her to Tonks as soon as we arrive!" George and I chorused. We high fived and George picked up Emma.

     "How's my baby girl? Can you say Muh-me?" George pointed to me. I smiled and waited for Emma to say something.

     Emma cooed but made a face at George. I burst into laughter while George looked at our daughter in fake hurt. "Ouch," I called out as I quickly packed a diaper bag.

     "I just have to grab something from downstairs and then we'll be all good to go," I sighed as George handed me Emma before bolting out of the room and then the flat.

     I looked at Emma in my arms. "You're daddy loves to prank. He's probably grabbing supplies right now. I hope you turn out like him. Don't be me; be your father," I told her. She had no expression on her face as I held her. "I run away because of excuses. I hide from my fears because I scared of what will happen.

     "I'm scared of the future and I ran away from your father once. For three years I tortured him because I had fallen in love with him. I was scared of him leaving me so I left instead. He may have forgiven me but I'll always regret doing what I did because it tortured him internally. I have scars on the outside and inside, but they will never compare to what I did to your father," I whispered.