Chapter 29

Darkness filled my vision yet soon disappeared as I blinked a few times. "Glad to see you're awake, Carrie," Xavier's voice filled my ears. 

     "My name isn't Carrie," I growled. "It's Catherine!"

     "Carolina Abigail Groves, do not speak to your friend like that," a woman's voice filled my ears. 

     My head shot up and I looked around. "Mum?" I whispered. My mother, Lydia Groves, stood there with her hands on her hips. 

     "Good to see you, sweets." She smiled at me. 

     "Anyone going to acknowledge me?" 

     I gaped at my father who appeared next to my mother. "Trevor, she didn't see you. Don't blame the poor girl."

     Xavier moved to my side. "You can be a family again," he spoke. "You could have you parents, and in return, you would only have to be with me."

     "Mummy, Daddy," I whimpered. 

     My body moved of its own accord as I raced towards Mum and Dad. "Wait, no!" Xavier yelled. But it was too late. 

     I launched myself into my parents yet I fell to the ground. "Oh, sweetheart, we're not alive."

     Staring at the sudden translucent figure of my parents, my mouth flopped open and closed like a fish. "I-I need to get back to my family."

     "Honey, we are your family."

* * *

"Where is my wife?!" George yelled. His face was red with anger yet his eyes reflected sadness. 

     "Mr. Weasley, we are working on finding your wife. But whatever she has done to herself to leave is very complex," an Auror spoke. George rounded on him.

     "She did not leave! Xavier took her! The charms around the house were broken. She could not have done that herself," George insisted. 

     The three Aurors exchanged doubtful looks. "Alright. We will continue to look for her. Until then, remain in your home." 

     There was a moment full of tension before the Aurors disappeared with a POP!  "George," Ginny approached her brother, "how about I take Emma and Teddy for the afternoon? We'll play at the Burrow with Mum and I'll teach them how to be the best Chasers."

     George didn't acknowledge her and instead walked up the stairs towards his and Catherine's shared room. "If he asks where Em is, we'll be at the Burrow," Ginny softly spoke. She quickly gathered Teddy and Emmaline before traveling to the Burrow via the Floo Network. 

     "I'll stay here with him." Ron settled down on the couch in the Lupin household. 

     "Charlie needs to be informed," Bill said. Fleur nodded before they both disappeared. 

     Tonks gripped her hair to the point where she was painfully pulling on it. Black and grey had replaced the usual pink as she grew stressed. "I should have stayed with her and waited for Molly. Merlin's balls, what have I done?" 

     "Dora, we all could have stayed," Remus whispered to her. "It's no one's fault." 

     "I'm going to go talk to the Aurors again," Tonks said. "Let's go, Remus. I don't think I can apparate in this state." They linked arms before Remus turned on his heel and disapparated. 

     Silence, that's what could be heard, or not, to those remaining in the Lupin household. It was a word that was never in the same sentence as 'Catherine'. 

     Ron looked around the empty room. He stood up and traveled to Catherine and George's room. A lanky redhead pushed past the in-training Auror. George didn't meet Ron's gaze before he disappeared into the kitchen. 

     It didn't take much for Ron to open the door as it was shattered from a strong Bombarda Maxima. Ron deducted, from the destruction in the hallway, that the damage was from George in his fury. 

     "Reparo," Ron cast. He fixed the door and the walls that surrounded him. 

     Entering the room, Ron found it to be a mess. But not from his brother. There was a mess of blankets on the floor along with the remnants of a strong protection spell that once surrounded the house. 

     A copy of Quidditch Through the Ages lay on the floor beside the bed. "Was Cate actually reading this?" Ron asked himself. He picked up the worn copy but froze as something fluttered beside his head. 

     Caught on a loose nail in the bedframe was a piece of green fabric. It looked as though it had been torn off without either Cate or her kidnapper realizing it. "George!" Ron yelled. "I think I found something!"

     With no reply, Ron unhooked the ripped fabric and tucked it into his pocket. He made his way back downstairs to find George sitting in the middle of the floor. In his arms was a green jumper with gold letters that spelled out 'Number One: Holyhead Harpies'. 

     "Send a Patronus to the Aurors. We may have a lead on where to find Cate." 

* * *

I stared at the translucent figures of my parents. "H-How-"

     "The Resurrection Stone. Harry Potter left it in the woods and I just," he smirked, "happened upon it, I knew what to use it for."

     Power surged through my veins as anger filled me. "You have no claim to that stone!" I yelled. "No one does!"

     Xavier chuckled. "Remember, Carrie. I just happened upon it'."

     "I need to leave," I said. "And I'll be taking that stone with me too." 

     "Not so fast," Xavier chidded. 

     "Carrie, if you would just see than Xavier has your best interests in mind, then you would be happy here." Lydia moved closer towards me but I backed away. 

     Trevor stared at me as if I had done something wrong. "From what Xavier has told us, he has done what he thinks is best for you. And did I hear something about you two having a child together?"

     "That child, MY CHILD, is not his. Emma is the daughter of my husband, George Weasley!" I yelled. 

     "Weasley?" Lydia asked. "They're a good family. How are Molly and Arthur fairing?"

     "Aunt Molly and Dad are good," I rebuked. They recoiled at the names. "Actually, Aunt Molly was supposed to come grab me as I have a cold."

     Xavier laughed and walked toward me. My instincts kicked in as my palms turned to face him. "Don't come any closer," I hissed. 

     "Carolina!" Trevor yelled. "What are you doing? Xavier is your friend and seeing how your 'husband' hasn't arrived, Xavier has done what is best for you."

     "George isn't here because I can't be tracked. I just want to go home to my husband and daughter."

     I looked at Lydia and Trevor. "I remember my time with you two. It was a great time, but it was filled with secrets. You kept the Statute of Secrecy from me for years! You cut me off from all my friends besides Xavier, including the Weasleys."

     "Keep watch on her." Xavier foolishly waved his wand at me. "I'm going to go get our daughter."