Chapter 13

Cedric was the first champion up in the First Task. He narrowly avoided the dragon, which Hermione informed me was a Swedish Short-Snout, and transfigured a boulder into a golden Labrador. The dragon went after the dog but then decided on going after Cedric, blasting him a bit with fire but he got the egg. Dragon trainers came out to capture the dragon and I noticed a burly redhead with them.

     "Charlie?" I exclaimed. The dragon heard me and whipped its restrained head towards me. Charlie threw a spell at it and the dragon complied and only struggled a bit as they dragged it out of the arena. "Now I'm watching closely," I murmured. George slipped his arm around my waist and I crossed my right arm across my body to interlock our fingers. 

     "Are you going to talk to Dumbledore right after the Task?" George whispered in my ear. I nodded, not taking my eyes off of the arena where Charlie exited. 

     "Cate, Charlie will be fine. He's still living despite how many times he's nearly been killed," said Fred from my left. My eyes widened and I looked at Fred with worry. 

     "You're just like Mum," Ginny informed me. I giggled and a hand touched my back.

     "Glad to see you," Bill's voice was heard in my ears. I smiled and turned around to awkwardly hug him.

     The champion from Beauxbatons appeared from a tent after Charlie and the other dragon trainers brought a Welsh Green dragon into the arena. "Fleur Delacour!" Ludo announced. The light blue section cheered.

     She did quite well as she put the dragon to sleep. But at the last second as it slept, it snorted fire and caught her skirt. Fleur yelped and killed the flames with water from her wand. But she had the golden egg identical to the one Cedric had gotten. That was the goal for the four champions. 

     "Viktor Krum!" Ludo yelled. Cheering came from all around the arena, as though every section was from Durmstrang. 

     "Come on, Viktor!" the team and I yelled. "You got this!" 

     "Krum! Krum! Krum!" all the Bulgarian Quidditch players cheered. He jumped behind a boulder to avoid the dragon's fire. Hermione told us that he was battling a Chinese Fireball. 

     "Go, Viktor!" I yelled. He jumped behind one rock to the next, trying to draw it away from the eggs. "Use your wand!"

     Viktor shot water at the dragon but it just roared in annoyance. Everyone in the arena grew louder as the dragon swept him off his feet using its tail. I raised my hands but George grabbed them. "There are people coming closer to him, he'll be fine," George told me. I nodded and held my hands in my lap with George's hands covering mine. 

     Finally, he shot a spell at it that seemed to blind the poor animal. I worried for the animal as it stumbled, crushing half the real eggs in its nest besides the golden one. "That's some nerve he's showing - and - yes, he's got the egg!" Ludo roared. Trainers came to help the dragon but I still felt bad for it. 

     Applause shattered the air like breaking glass. Our little section jumped up and cheered for our friend. "Now comes Harry," Hermione worried. I rested a hand on her shoulder as the dragon trainers brought out another dragon. 

     "That's a Hungarian Horntail!" Ron exclaimed as they brought out a monstrous, scaly, black dragon. It crouched low over her eggs as Harry came out of the tent. It thrashed its spiked tail, leaving yard-long gouge marks in the hard ground. 

     "Go, Harry!" I yelled in anguish. This one looked even more dangerous than the others. A fourteen year old was going against a mother dragon protecting her eggs.