Chapter Nine

Charlie

Fifteen Years Old

My eyes shot open as the shrill sound of the school bell rang in my ears. Everyone else had already raced towards the door, leaving me behind as I groggily tried to gather my books into my backpack. I didn’t even remember falling asleep, though I did remember feeling tired as hell. Now I felt even more tired, if that was possible. I stifled a yawn as I shouldered my bag and headed towards the door.

“Miss Asher…” A voice stalled me.

I stopped in my tracks and let out a sigh before turning to face my History teacher, Mr. Shudy. “I know, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.” I said before he had a chance to say anything.

He raised his eyebrows in amusement. “Out late last night with Mr. Dixon? You know, he’s not exactly the-“

“No. Actually. I wasn’t.” I said coolly. I didn’t give him a chance to make another comment. Instead I turned my back and left the room. Daryl was leaning against the wall next to the classroom, waiting for me. I grinned at him as he fell into step with me.

“Did I get you in trouble?” He asked, smirking slightly.

I rolled my eyes. “Not any more than usual. Did you hear that?” I asked curiously.

He shrugged his shoulders, pushing open the glass door and walking into the bright sunshine. He held the door as I followed after him before letting it swing shut behind us. “Just heard somethin’ about a Mr. Dixon and assumed he meant me. Suppose he could’ve been talkin’ ‘bout Merle. You been spendin’ alotta late nights with my big brother, Charlie?” He teased perking a single eyebrow.

I punched him hard in the shoulder and he let out a laugh. “That’s not even funny. That’s just gross.” I said, wrinkling my nose in disgust.

“Yeah, I’d be grossed out too if that was goin’ on.” He grinned. “Wanna ride home?”

I nodded, following him in the direction of his truck. “Sounds good to me.” I tossed my backpack into the bed of the truck and made to pull open the passenger side door when Daryl was suddenly there, leaning against the door. He was looking at me thoughtfully, a small, mischievous smile on his lips. “What?” I asked suspiciously.

He held out the keys to me. “You drive.”

I felt my eyes grow wide. “Are you kidding? I’m not even sixteen yet!” I exclaimed.

Daryl shrugged again and pressed the keys into my hand. “So? I ain’t twenty-one and I still drink. Don’t be a wimp. Git’ in the truck.” He opened the door and swung himself up into the passenger seat. I jumped back as he slammed the door and smirked at me from behind the window.

I looked down at the keys in my hand and felt a knot form in my stomach. Daryl knew I didn’t know how to drive. I also knew there was no point in arguing with someone like him, though. I trudged around the front of the truck and climbed into the driver’s seat. I looked at the smug looking boy seated next to me. “You know I’ve never driven a car before. You tryin’ to get us both killed?” I asked.

He rolled his eyes. “Don’t be a wimp.” He repeated. “It ain’t hard, any moron can drive a car. Now put the keys in the ignition.” I followed his instructions and started the engine. “Now just put it in drive and hit the gas.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “I know that much. I’m not a complete idiot.” I huffed. I didn’t tell him that I felt like I might throw up for some reason. Not only was this my first time driving, but if we got pulled over, we’d both be screwed. Even worse, my daddy would kill me. I didn’t voice any of that, though. I just put the truck in gear and went. I pressed the gas too quick and we jerked forward before I slammed on the breaks. I could see Daryl shaking with silent laughter in the seat next to me, but I ignored him and hoped he realized it wasn’t smart to make fun of the person behind the wheel. Jerk.

 I tried again, this time deciding to press my foot down a little more slowly. It seemed to work better and pretty soon we were actually out of the parking lot and onto the main road. My knuckles were white from how hard I was gripping the wheel.

“See? Easy.” Daryl said, breaking the silence.

I felt a small smile tug at the corners of my lips. “It’s kinda fun.” I admitted.

Daryl chuckled. “Now just don’t kill us.”

I rolled my eyes, but didn’t say anything. The drive home was easy and I felt my paranoia slowly ebbing away until all I felt was the excitement that I was actually driving a car by myself. Daryl didn’t say much, just giving me little pointers here and there. I nodded and listened and even felt a little disappointed when I pulled onto our familiar dirt road and saw my driveway looming ahead. Daryl seemed to notice.

“Why don’t ya keep on goin’ for a lil’ while. Git’ some practice. Unless yer’ still too scared.” He said. I could hear the amusement in his tone.

“Yeah, right. You better watch your mouth before I “accidentally” side swipe the next mailbox we pass.” I shot back. I snuck a look at Daryl and saw that all too familiar smirk on his lips.

“Shut up and keep yer’ eyes on the road.”

I felt my grin grow as I passed my house and continued on down the country road, the truck stirring up dust as I pressed on the petal just a little bit harder.