Chapter Forty-Nine

Author's Note:

Well, I've decided to go ahead and do the crossover. If you were able to read the note I posted in PWF, though, both stories are going to be a little lacking in updates for a while. I've just got too much on my plate right now with school work. However, I had more than a few people ask if I wouldn't mind writing a few chapters from Daryl's perspective until I get PWF caught up and start the cross over. And the answer is I would be glad to. So here is one that I just finished this afternoon. I hope everyone likes it or is at least interested in Daryl's POV right now. In fact, depending on the response I get I might do a few chapters alternating Daryl and Charlie's present day views here on out now that the flashbacks have ended. Okay enough from me. Here's Chapter 49. As always, enjoy and leave me any comments you may have! Thanks lovelies.

-Nikki

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl

Present Day

They’d been gone too damn long.

And I was about going out of my god damn mind wondering why the hell they weren’t back yet. I paced the long, concrete cellblock inside the prison, long since run out of things to do. I could tell by the light coming in through the barred windows that the sun was getting lower and lower in the sky. I couldn’t shake the feeling that something had gone wrong. They should’ve been back a while ago.

“You alright, Daryl?” Carol’s voice, all quiet and gentle, came from behind me. I turned around to look at her, letting out a heavy sigh.

“Somethin’ ain’t right.” I muttered. I ran a hand through my hair, feeling agitated as hell. “They’ve been gone all damn day.” I shook my head before starting up with my pacing again. Carol pressed herself up against the wall to stay out of my way. “Should’ve been me out there with Charlie instead of Glenn. Hell, she should’ve just stayed here like I asked her to!” I could feel Carol’s concerned gaze on me, which only made me feel more and more annoyed. God, if something happened to Charlie out there…well that was one thought I didn’t want to face.

“Glenn and Charlie can take care of themselves just fine. They know what they’re doing.” Carol finally said. “I’m sure they’ll be coming on back any minute now.”

I scowled at the concrete floor, wishing Carol would stop trying to make me feel better and just let me be. We both knew I wouldn’t calm down a single lick until I had Charlie back, safe and sound. But if those two weren’t back by dusk, I’d be going out after ‘em. To hell with Rick or anyone else trying to stop me.

Suddenly, I heard the prison door slam open and a frenzy of voices. Carol and I exchanged a look before I took off down the stairs, heading towards the common area. I hoped like hell it was Glenn and Charlie finally back from the run. I swung open the barred door that separated the cellblock from the common area and froze, my eyes scanning the room for her familiar face. Instead, I got everyone hustling around all concerned like while Rick hovered over some strange black girl I ain’t never laid eyes on before.

“What the hell is this?” I asked, hanging back by the door.

Rick glanced over his shoulder at me, but didn’t say a damn word. Instead, he turned back around and dumped a bottle of water on whoever she was. I knew she was hurt bad…could tell by the look on her face, not to mention the dark blood colored stain on her pants.

“You wanna tell us your name?” Rick asked her. Her eyes fluttered open, but she didn’t say a word. Instead, she lunged towards what looked like some sort of sword that must’ve been hers. Rick kicked it away.