Chapter Sixty

Author's Note:

Sorry to keep you waiting! I meant to update sooner but real life has been getting in the way. I'm almost done with the next chapter so expect that this week. Thank you for all the votes and comments...they always make my day! :)

-Nikki

::

Charlie

The heavy metal door swung shut behind me and I leaned back against it, taking in a deep breath before slowly letting it out. Daryl’s words rung in my ears. I could feel tears stinging behind my eyes, my throat tight. Deep down, I knew he hadn’t meant them. That he was just hurting and didn’t know how else to deal with what he was feeling. It still didn’t make what he said sting any less. All I could think about now was how he was going off after the Governor and there was no way of knowing what was going to happen out there. If those were the last words we ever said to each other…I let the thought trail off. I couldn’t let myself think like that. I took in one last deep breath. I had to hold it together.

I pushed myself off the door and walked around the corner, seeing Hershel and Gabe seated at one of the tables. Carol sat next to Gabe, holding his hand. She gave me a soft smile when she saw me and immediately stood, allowing me to take her place next to my brother. “How you holdin’ up?” I asked him quietly.

Gabe shrugged, but I could tell by the beads of sweat that dripped down his face and the paleness of his skin that he was in pain. “I keep telling everyone I’m fine. I didn’t even really get shot, it just grazed me.” That was just like Gabe. The tough guy act so we’d stop babying him.

“Maybe not, but it still hurt you pretty good. We’ll just have to be careful to change this bandage every couple of hours to keep infection out.” Hershel added. He finished wrapping Gabe’s leg and gently propped it up on one of the other chairs. “Probably best to take it easy for a little while.”

Gabe scowled at the floor and I wrapped my arm around his shoulders. “It could’ve been worse, Gabe. I’m glad you’re okay.”

His expression softened a little. “Yeah, I know. I just don’t like being useless.”

“You’re not useless. You’re injured. There’s a difference. Look at me, young man. Do I seem useless to you?” Hershel said, gesturing to his missing leg. He had an amused smile tugging at his lips.

Gabe shook his head. “No, sir.”

I smiled, giving Gabe a gentle squeeze before pulling my arm back. “Probably should try to fix up that fence outside again. Those walkers are getting a little too close for comfort.”

“I was just thinking that.” Glenn added. I turned over my shoulder to see he and Maggie had just walked into the room together. I felt my eyebrows knit together when I caught the huge grin they both were wearing. “We have something to say first…” He paused and looked at Maggie. “We’re married.”

I felt my mouth fall open. “What?”

“That’s wonderful! Congrats!” Carol was the first to stand up, engulfing them both in a motherly hug, Beth right behind them.

I felt a smile playing across my lips as I stood up. “I’m so happy for you! This is amazing!” I said in disbelief as Maggie pulled me in for a hug.

“It’s about time we got some good news around here.” I heard Hershel exclaim from behind me. When I looked at him, he had a knowing smile on his face that assured me Glenn had already let him in on the secret earlier.