Chapter 13 | Don't Start Nothin'

My 21st birthday was on the 15th and my hangover was real so I couldn't update. But I'm fully recovered now! 

It was going on three in the morning and Nate had just gotten home. He had been out all day since his last class at 2. Homecoming was approaching, which meant the city was about to be turned and as a result Nate's trap was booming. Seeing as though they lived in a college town Nate kept everything on deck from weed to Adderall to codeine and even crack.

College kids loved to try shit and eventually a lot of them became addicted which only added to his profits. The turn up was set to be real the following week and Nate was only preparing himself and his crew for the amount of business they were about to encounter. Thousands of people would be flooding the city ready to get fucked up and Nate would be to supply their every need.

He had long ago become so used to working and going to school that coming home at a time like this was nothing new. And still he would stay up for another two hours and finish the homework he had due in just a few hours.

In a perfect world Nate knew school would be his priority. But his life wasn't perfect and the money was addictive probably even more than the drugs he sold. Knowing that when he graduated unlike a lot of his classmates he wouldn't have to struggle or move back in with his parents made Nate feel good. Fast money would always be there he just hoped he would be there to make it.

An hour after getting home he had successfully taken a shower and heated up some pizza when Nate finally sat down on his bed to do his homework. Just as he had opened his book he picked up his personal phone seeing a few missed messages. He scrolled through them until he found the thread he shared with Bambi.

"Goodnight" was what she had said after their day long texting session.

Nate couldn't lie and say he didn't have his feelings about Bambi despite only knowing her for such a short time. But Nate was also a realist and he knew the chances of them becoming anything besides friends was near impossible. He would flirt and say sweet things here and there but work and school were his girlfriend. Nate knew couldn't be what he knew Bambi wanted for a lot of reasons. Despite her hood ways and personality that some would call ghetto Nate knew Bambi needed a nigga who wasn't destined to sell drugs for the rest of his life.

But he liked her and for as long as he could he was going to keep her around because their friendship was genuine.

Nate was running on only three hours of sleep when he walked into Professor Wright's class holding the ten-page paper he had finished just hours earlier. He sat in his usual seat surprised that Bambi hadn't taken it. A few moments later she walked in and Nate could automatically sense that something was wrong.

"Hey" was all she said as she sat next to him throwing her notebook onto the desk.

"Don't hit me with that dry ass hey. What's wrong?" Bambi finally looked up at him as she rubbed her red nose.

"One of my dogs died" Nate stifled a chuckle.

"Dogs as in a pet?" Bambi nodded and wiped her tears. Nate burst out laughing unable to contain it any longer.

"Really Nate? That shit is not funny."

"I'm sorry Bambi I tried to hold it in."

"Don't talk to me asshole" she stood and moved to the other side of the room next to the window.

As class began Nate pulled out his phone and sent Bambi a text.

Nate: "I'm sorry."

He looked at her waiting for her response but never got one.