Chapter 34 | Baby by me

"You done acting like I don't exist" Roland's voice made Bambi nearly fall.

"You scared me Roland" she closed her car door before going to her trunk to take out her groceries.

"Are you going to answer my question?" he attempted to help her but Bambi stopped him.

"Roland us having sex was a big ass mistake okay? I've been trying to deal with the fact that I cheated on my boyfriend."

"And that the baby might be mine?"

She took a step back and stared at him wondering how he knew. "The walls are thin ma and Bria is loud" Roland answered after noticing her face.

"Look my boyfriend doesn't even know I'm pregnant yet and you're not supposed to know either."

"It's a possibility that it's my child so I want to be involved. Fuck your nigga" he said roughly.

"I hear you Roland" he looked at her like he wanted to say something else but he didn't. Bambi saw his eyes catch the attention of something behind her making her turn around.

She could have shitted bricks when she saw Nate parking his car. "Roland please go, I'll talk to you later."

He shook his head and walked away to his apartment. Nate approached her with a cold face. "Need help" he said watching Roland go into his house before looking at her.

"Yeah" she let him take most of the bags before she took the rest.

They sat the groceries down in the kitchen and began to put them away in silence. At least for a little while it was silent.

"We gotta talk about this shit Bambi" he said slamming a can of green beans down on the counter.

"Nate that wasn't supposed to happen" she didn't turn to look at him. She continued to put away groceries.

"But it did and I don't regret it."

"You have to regret it, I'm with Flip" she finally turned to looked him.

"Do you really want to be with him?" his question caught her off guard.

"I'm pregnant" she blurted out and Nate's head tilted to the side.

"You're what?" he questioned leaning forward like he couldn't hear.

"I'm pregnant but I don't know who the father is. It could be you or Flip or Roland. And I know you're getting ready to call me all kinds of names and I deserve it but I just don't want to hear it. I fucked up badly Nate and I'll probably end losing both you and Flip. But just know I'm sorry, it was never my intention to hurt anybody."

"A baby by me?" he said staking claim on the child already.

"I don't know whose on it is Nate."

"Does Flip know?"

Bambi wiped her tears with the back of her hand and shook her head. "He doesn't know and I don't want you tell him. I gotta do it on my own" she said before walking away to her room.

Bambi closed and locked her door and seconds later she heard the front door slam shut.

➤➤➤➤

That weekend Bambi made the seven-hour drive to Miami all by herself. Now that both Roland and Nate knew, she figured it was time for Flip to know as well.

She hadn't had any intentions on going to see her mother but figured they needed to talk. They hadn't spoken since Bambi had told her the news a few days ago. Diamond was the only who called to check up on her.

Since she got a late start on driving she didn't get home until around 8 that night. Bambi saw her mother and Diamonds car along with another truck that she didn't recognize.

Bambi took her time getting out the car and grabbing her purse, she was in no rush to get cursed out. Her steps were slow as she walked to the front door and unlocked it with her key. 

"Hello" she said and could already hear her niece and nephew running.

"Auntie" they both yelled in unison before tackling her with hugs.

"Why yall look so grown? It hasn't been that long since I seen yall" she hugged them both before giving them each a pack of candy she had brought at a rest stop.

Once they had the candy they both took off running. Bambi could hear voices in the den so she made her way in there. Sitting around on the large L-shaped sectional were her Diamond, her mama and a man she had never seen before.

"Bambi what the fuck?" Diamond hopped up and hugged her. Once she pulled away she rubbed her nonexistent stomach cooing to the baby. "Auntie big man is in here; I know it's a boy" she said.

"I hope not" Bambi said as she looked up at her mother whose stomach had started to show a lot more.

"I'm Barrington" the mystery man stood up with his hand outstretched.

Bambi looked at him for a moment before she shook his hand. She was never too friendly with her mama's man friends, and Barrington would be no different.

"Hi" she said flashing a quick smile.

Once he sat down the tension in the room reached another level. Diamond being the asshole that she was began to sing the music from Jeopardy making Bambi hit her.

"Ma, you don't see your youngest daughter right here" Diamond said trying to get the conversation going.

"Bambi I trusted you so much. I can't believe you went and did this" Lauren finally said.

"You think I wanted to get pregnant? Do you really think I worked as hard I as I did to leave Miami just to possibly have to come back? It was a mistake everybody makes them!"

"A mistake that's going to make going to school much harder."

"But I'll still do it. I worked a full time job and went to school full time and still made the dean's list every semester. I understand that you are mad at me but at the same time I'm your daughter, you didn't treat Diamond this bad when she got pregnant."

"That was different."

"How?" Diamond asked wanting to know.

"It just was" Lauren said not having any real explanation.

"I just want you to be there for me ma, this shit is already hard enough as it is. Everybody else is already going to judge me I don't need you doing the same damn thing."

Bambi waited for her to say something else but she never did. Barrington sat next to her trying to get her to respond but she was being stubborn as hell.

"Whatever, Diamond I'll be at Flip's apartment" she hugged her sister and waved at Barrington before leaving.

"Bambi" Diamond yelled her name right before she could get into the car.

"You know she cares right?" Bambi shrugged not really knowing if she did because it damn sure didn't feel like it.

"I'm not asking her to jump for joy, all I really need is a good ass hug."

"Awww" Diamond hugged Bambi making her smile.

"Thanks Diamond."

"You good girl and don't worry ima talk some sense into her" Bambi nodded and watched Diamond walk back inside.

Just minutes into her drive Bambi phone's dinged letting her know she had a message. Surprisingly it was from her mama:

You know I love your ass girl 🙄 you better come see me before you leave. 😘