Chapter 39 | Finish Line

"Nate are you coming or not?" Bambi was trying to hold her phone between her ear and shoulder and get the stroller out of the trunk at the same time.

Today was Lola's appointment with the ear doctor. She hadn't passed any of her hearing tests in her right ear since she had been born and now she had to see a specialist. Bambi was a nervous wreck so didn't want to go by herself. Nate had promised he would come but ever since the results of the paternity test were revealed he had been slacking.

That had been three weeks ago and it had been two weeks since Roland's funeral. Bambi understood that he felt some type of way about Lola not actually being his seed, but it wasn't like he wouldn't be the only father she knew. Bambi didn't understand it.

"Bambi I'm on my fuckin way, stop questioning me" he said and that was all Bambi needed to hear for her to hang up on his ass. She was already stressed about her child possibly not being able to hear she didn't need to be concerned with his bullshit.

After successfully getting the stroller out Bambi secured Lola in it and made her way inside. She signed in before sitting down to wait for her turn.

Lola as always was busy sucking on her hands like she had been since her first week home. She preferred her hand over a pacifier any day. "You look so cute" Bambi cooed as she took out her phone to take a picture.

She never thought that she would become one of those moms who dressed their kids up for no reason and took an unnecessary amount of pictures

She never thought that she would become one of those moms who dressed their kids up for no reason and took an unnecessary amount of pictures. But she was, she was even tempted to start Lola up her own Instagram.

Bambi was able to snap a few pictures before Lola began to cry. She picked her up at the same time as the door to the office opened. Nate walked in obviously high and with an annoyed expression on his face. She didn't bother say anything to him as she began to feed Lola her bottle.

Nate finally took his seat and without saying a word he took Lola from Bambi and finished feeding her.

"Hello to you" Bambi rolled her eyes.

"I'm here so quit the attitude."

"Says the one who was just cursing at me. I only asked you to come because I'm obviously nervous about this shit."

"Lola" a nurse poked her head out a door and called before Nate could respond.

Bambi sighed and gathered her things before following the nurse to a room. The doctor came in quickly and began to run tests. They were in the office for about two hours before any test results came back. They found out that there was structural problems with her inner ear which was causing the failed tests.

"Is there anything that we can do?" Bambi asked on the verge of tears.

"At this time I wouldn't bother it because she is so young. This is a problem that can sometimes fix itself. What we will do is monitor that ear very closely, I'll probably want to see you guys every month up until around the six or eight-month mark. If by then the structural issue hasn't resolved itself or shown any signs of improvement, we can explore other options such as surgery or aids."