intro

copyright © 2016
all rights reserved to natemaloley on wattpad
none of this story may be rewritten, reproduced, or reformed in any way unless granted permission.

"our divorce will be finalized tomorrow morning." jack informs me.

i look at him questionably, still not fully comprehending why he wants this divorce in the first place. of course my heart is shattered and my whole world has collapsed. my husband, that i genuinely love, wants to divorce me.

"i still don't understand why you're doing this." i quietly ask, even though i am well aware that both of our lawyers can hear me.

"you don't understand, octavia?" he emphasizes, narrowing his eyes at me and staring at me like i'm the person he hates most in this world.

that hurts me even more because he doesn't hate a lot of people. his gaze burns through me and i reluctantly reply.

i shake my head, "i really don't." i answer, having a hard time finding my words, so my response sounds like a stuttering mess.

"recall the time when you slept with my best friend. then come and tell me if you still don't understand why i'm divorcing you." he scoffs.

"i never sleep with him, jack-"

"save it." he spits. "i don't want to hear it."

"jack." i plead. "how can you not believe me?"

"i don't want to hear your lies, octavia. you're nothing but a little gold digger who can't keep her legs shut." he sneers. "you were in love with the money. not me."

"how can you say that? first you're accusing me of sleeping with your best friend and now you're calling me a gold digger?" i gasp.

"did i stutter?" he cynically mocks.

this jack that i'm talking to right now is nothing like the jack that i fell in love with. this jack is mean, cold, heartless, and ruthless. it's as if he has no filter. i never slept with anyone beside him.

i've been nothing but loyal. i'll never be nothing but loyal to the man i love.

"if i didn't love you, i wouldn't have cooked you dinner every night, i wouldn't have ironed all of your clothing, i wouldn't have taken care of you, and i definitely wouldn't have said yes to your proposal in the bahamas."

"you just want my money and that's what i'm going to give you. five million for you to be out of my life. forever." he emphasizes.

"you- you're a disgrace of a man, jack gilinsky." i admit, choking on my own words.

"you married me."

people thought i was crazy marrying at the age of 19, now what would they think of me being a divorcee at the age of 21?

"if you think that i slept with your best friend, where's the evidence? i barely even talk to your friends!" i raise my voice.

the lawyers look back and forth between us during our quarrel, obviously concerned and not entertained nor amused.

"you don't have to know someone that well to sleep with them." jack retorts, defending his words.

"if you think that i want your money, you're wrong." i remark. "i don't want your stupid five million dollars."

the last thing that i ever thought i'd become would be a divorcee. i still can't believe that jack doesn't believe me. it's my word against his. i would never cheat on him and break my vows.

we've only been married for two years and this is already all happening? he wants me gone for good and he won't even hear me out. i don't even know where he got the assumption of me sleeping with jack johnson.

i look over to the lawyers, "take the money and everything off. i don't need his stupid things."

they both blink, processing my words. jack watches them carefully, his jaw locked and clenched tightly.

"leave it on there. i'm giving her the damn money or else she'll be homeless and i'm not that mean." he tells them, practically insulting me.

i gape at him bewildered and shake my head, "why? so you can call me a gold digger for taking the money that you offered? i don't want it. i'd rather be homeless than knowing that i'm living off of my ex husband's money."

jack bites his bottom lip, giving me an annoyed look. this man is impossible.

i open my mouth to speak, "once i have my things packed, i'll be out of your life. don't you worry, i won't take any of the things you bought me."

"which is basically everything you own." he ignorantly chuckles.

i thought that i'd be bawling my eyes out and begging on my knees for him not to leave me, but his behavior is making it very hard to do that. my anger is just eating me alive and overtaking all of my other emotions.

"in fact, you won't ever have to see me again after today. i'll pay someone to pick up my things." i snap, removing my engagement and wedding ring off of my finger before scribbling my signature down on the printed document that lays in front of me.

{vote, comment, share}