twenty two

octavia's pov

it's currently two in the morning and i can't sleep. i've had a hard time sleeping lately. i'm so used to having someone next to me. the bed just feels empty and so does the room. i hate being by myself.

i reluctantly get up from the bed to grab a glass of water downstairs. maybe going down all of those steps will tire me out and i'll fall asleep easier. wanting to test the theory, i go down every single staircase as quick as i can.

i practically sprint to the refrigerator to get some water. feeling like an athlete right now. this isn't tiring me out. i snatch a bottle from a fridge and open it and take a long gulp.

i dance around in an attempt to tire myself out. my heart stops beating and my water bottle flies out of my hand when i see a person watching me in amusement.

"jack, what the fuck are you doing down here?" i pant.

i didn't even hear him descend the steps.

he grins, "i could ask you the same thing." he replies, playing with the temperature setter on the wall.

"i-i was getting water."

"yes," he chuckles. "that's all you were doing."

my eyebrows knit together, "i can't sleep, so i'm trying to tire myself out."

"so you had to sound like a fucking elephant falling down the stairs?"

i frown, "i'm not that loud... or heavy."

"i know, baby, i'm just teasing, but i can think of a few ways to tire you out."

my eyebrows raise at his sly words. it's too late for this and i turn to find a towel to wipe the- now wet- floor.

"i'm suddenly tired." i murmur.

jack smiles, approaching me to help wipe the floor. i would protest, but i don't want to do all of the work on my own. even though it was completely my fault. well, not really because he practically scared me to death.

"let's go back up." jack says.

i stare at him in confusion, "the floor isn't even wiped all the way."

he shrugs, "it'll dry overnight."

"no, what if you come back in the middle of the night, or whenever, and it's not dry and you slip?"

"thank you for caring, sweetheart, but i'm a man and falling is the least of my worries." he tells me and i dramatically roll my eyes.

what is that even supposed to mean? not replying, i follow behind him quickly because he causally flickers off all of the lights. i've never been scared to roam this house alone, but who knows what's happened within four years?

when we make it at the top of the stairs, i'm basically panting like an non-athletic teenage girl after running a quarter of a mile. jack just laughs at me struggling and i want to slap the smile off of his face.

he suddenly grabs my hand and tugs me into the direction of his room. i register what's happening and then resists childishly.

"what are you doing?" i ask him.

"sleep with me. not like that- unless you want to, i'm not complaining- but like actually sleep."

"sleep with you?" i test out the words, sounding incredulous.

"yes, baby. just sleep. nothing more."

i press my lips together. maybe if he were even a foot away from me, it'll make a difference and i'll be able to sleep easier.