Chapter Five

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: FEBRUARY 27TH 2016

CHAPTER FIVE

            The popcorn isn't buttery. I don't even care, though, because just hanging with Griffyn is a relief. The summer was unbelievably lonely without him. Carolina had never made me feel the same as I do with Griffyn. The types of friendships I have with the two are completely different from one another.

            The credits start scrolling on the screen of my TV and I get up to turn on the lights. "I love that movie every time. It's just so sad." I tell him, settling back on my bed.

            "Yeah," his voice sounds a little hoarse so I sneak a peak over at him. His cheeks are kind of shiny as they glisten in the light.

            "Woah, Griffyn! Are you crying?" I inquire, surprised. Griffyn doesn't usually cry, but then again, we don't really watch emotional movies like the one I picked out tonight.

            Griffyn visibly stiffens, not looking up. "Maybe, maybe not. I guess it depends on your definition of crying..." I start to smile and lean down a little to try to get a better glimpse of his face but he moves his head to the side.

            "Why are you hiding, Griffyn? No way! You were crying weren't you? Oh my gosh, you're such a softie! How did I not know that?" I try to lean further to get a better glimpse of his face yet again, but he quickly turns and buries his head into my pillow.

            With a groan he mumbles, "Shut up."

            I let out a few laughs and try to pry his head away from the pillow before I get bored and give up. Griffyn's a lot stronger than me and we all know who's going to come out ahead in a fight.

            "Too bad... I think a guy who cries at movies is so sweet!" I sweet-talk, trying to get him to lift his head up. His grip on the pillow loosens and I find myself leaning forward in anticipation. Then he grips it tightly once again and keeps his face pressed into the cushion.

            "As if I would fall for that," Griffyn grumbles into the pillow.

            I roll my eyes and collapse onto the bed beside him. "It was worth a try."

            He lifts his head from the pillow, finally. I don't get to celebrate though because there's no trace of tears left. If he was crying, I'd never be able to tell.

            "I'm hungry." He tells me. "Bring me food."

            I snort, "Yeah, nice try, buddy. Get your own."

            "But it's your house." Griffyn frowns at me. You'd think that with as fit as the boy is, he'd be willing to walk downstairs to get his food, but that's not the case. Griffyn is the laziest boy I have ever met in my entire life.

            "Yeah, it's my house. I'm letting you stay here, so the least you can do is get your own food." I retort.

            "I don't think that's how it works." Griffyn mutters, but slides off the bed anyway. He leaves the room to go retrieve food and returns a few minutes later with a few bags of different kinds of chips.

            "Oh! Doritos, please!" I call out when I see them in his hands. He throws the bag at me and I catch it, digging in. He chuckles and joins me on the bed, lying on his stomach beside me. I find something on Netflix and start playing it as we eat.

            I feel like I'm being stared at and glance to my right. Griffyn is looking at me with an amused expression on his face. "What?" He knows how I get with Doritos. It shouldn't be a surprise how I garble them down.