Chapter Nine

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: MARCH 12TH, 2016

GIF: GRIFFYN RIVERS

CHAPTER NINE

            By the time Friday rolls around, I'm sick of Melody. I honestly didn't think I could dislike Little Miss Redhead more than I already did, but I was proved wrong.

            As soon as Carolina drops me off after school, I'm excited for more reasons than one. I rush around the house, cleaning the mess quickly (okay, it was more like hiding the mess than actually cleaning it up) and also trying to fix some dinner. 

            At six, the doorbell rings just as I'm slipping from my mom's room. I'd given her a full plate of spaghetti and garlic I'd made. She didn't make a move to take it, so I set it on her bedside table. Hopefully she eats it later. 

            I grin as the doorbell sounds again and rush towards the door. This is the first time since the ride from school on Monday that I'll get Griffyn all to myself. Of course, he stuck to his word and took me to school on Tuesday after his baseball practice, but she just happened to be getting a ride from him too. I was stuck sitting awkwardly in the backseat with his baseball stuff. That wasn't the last time that happened. Melody had practically been clinging to his side like a tic this past week. Monday's lunch seemed to be just the beginning, for she accompanied him to my locker every single day after, between every single class period. It's hard to even get in a sentence to him. I doubt I've spoken more than a paragraph to him since she's started hanging around.

            "It's about time! Usually you come over at five thirty--" I cut myself off, the grin immediately falling off my face. Griff is, in fact, here on my doorstep. But there's one person with him that hadn't been invited. And she never would be invited if it were my decision to make. "Oh... Melody. Hi."

            Griff flinches at how bitter my voice sounds. This only annoys me. It's not like I can help how I sound. When I feel a certain way, it shows through my voice. It's just the way it is. He opens his mouth to respond, but Melody beats him to it, sending me a smile. "Hey, I'm sorry for intruding, but Griff and I have barely hung out this week, so we just came over together." 

            I force a smile at her, making at least a tiny effort to treat her kindly. Of course what she said is a huge lie about as big as Earth and as obvious as the sun in the sky. We all know her and Griff have had more than enough time together this week. But she's been kind to me, so I can't just be a complete bitch to her. There must be a reason for that unnecessary kindness, though.

            She's been really nice through the week and I have no doubt she's a sweet person around people she cares about, but that's the thing. She could care less about me. And I'm for certain that when she wants to be, she can be a wretched little thing if she feels threatened. Apparently, I may be a threat to her and Griff's relationship, or whatever you want to call it. "That's... interesting." I say, not being able to lie. It's definitely not fine, and it may be nice of Griff to invite her, but doing so is not nice to me.