Chapter Twenty-Five

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: SEPTEMBER 11TH 2016

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Wednesday, September 26th

            When I arrive at school, I head straight towards Griff's locker to wait for him. He must've seen me waiting when he was heading to his locker that morning and fled because he never showed, yet I saw him at lunch.

            I'm not stupid enough to sit with him during lunch while we are in the biggest fight we've ever had, but I wanted to anyway. Though, after the way Parker narrowed her eyes at me and the way Wes avoided my gaze and the pleading looks I sent him, I knew I was not wanted.

            Carolina and the girls wave me over so I can sit at their table, but I hesitate. I don't want him to see me sitting with them and assume I've made my decision. He said I only have one chance to make the decision. If I make it, that's it.

            If I choose them, he's done with me.

            So I head over to the empty tables near the trash and sit there, alone. I eat quickly and quietly. And when I'm done, I send his table one more glance before leaving the cafeteria fifteen minutes earlier than I usually do.

            I never knew life could be so numb.

Tuesday, October 2nd

            I had begun to think my feelings for Griffyn had faded and that all that was left was my desire for us to be friends again, but I'm proved wrong.

            The pain's almost unbearable when I see Griff in the hallway near his locker one morning surrounded by three girls, laughing. I recognize one girl from Mythology who'd been sending him yearning looks all year, Andrea McNally, but the other two, I had no idea. He was telling them about his baseball game the other night.

            Carolina comes up as I'm staring at the foursome and nudges my shoulder. She gives me a pitying look. "He's moved on, Cara. You should too. Don't beat yourself up. I guess your friendship just wasn't meant to be. He's clearly showing it. He won't even spare you a glance."

            I bite my lip, hold back tears.

            Carolina continues. "There's a party tonight. Please come. It will help keep your mind off him." I get ready to refuse the invitation, but she beats me to the chase. "Don't! Don't you dare blow this off. You need this. You deserve to have fun. Show the asshole what he's missing."

That night at the party, Carolina introduces me to some guy. I can't remember his name and I really don't care. I want Griff back.

            "So, you're really pretty." The guy smiles at me. He's been nice so far and I can tell that if Griff and I weren't in a fight, I'd totally find the guy worthy of my time and maybe more.