Chapter Eight

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: MARCH 10TH, 2016

PICTURED ABOVE: MELODY

CHAPTER EIGHT

            One look at the chocolates inside of his locker and he almost forgives me.

            "Wow," Griff states as I approach him. He raises a hand to run it through the loose waves styled on top of his head. "You actually spent money on me. Should I feel special?"

            He's at least half-joking with me. I can't find the will to joke back, because I'm too worried that the wrong word might chase him off again. I'd given him the whole weekend to cool off and calm down, but now it's monday. The weekend is over and I'm ready to work things out. A summer was too long without him, I don't need to add an unnecessary week to that tally, too.

            I take a deep breath in and let out the words. "Griffyn, I'm sorry I lied to you. It was wrong, just like how deleting Redhead's message was wrong. I know how you feel about lying and I regret what I did. Now, please forgive me. I miss you." I hadn't expected those words to come out, saying I missed him. And I hadn't meant to call Melody "Redhead" either. I practiced the whole speech I was going to give him throughout the weekend and even had it memorized word for word, but it seems that now that the time has come, my mind blanked and I'm suffering from an extreme case of unplanned word vomit.

            Griffyn stares at me with a straight face. I watch him for a few moments, feeling like I'm about to puke. His facial expression remains stoic, not letting me in on what he's thinking. Just as I'm about to say I can't take it anymore, he smiles. It's small, really small, but it's real.  "Come here," he breathes, opening his arms wide open for me.

            I smile hesitantly and step into his welcoming embrace. When he closes his arms around me, I sigh in content. I'm immediately enveloped in the warmth of his body. I was only apart from him for couple of days, but it felt like a lifetime. I had almost forgotten in these past months how amazing Griffyn Rivers' hugs were.

            I breathe in his smell as the hug drags on. It's kind of odd that we're still hugging, but I don't mind. I'm just happy to know that he's not mad at me anymore. He smells like a mix of coconut, cologne, and boy. It's safe. Familiar. I love it.

            Finally, Griff pulls away. We're the only ones in the hall now. I don't really care that we'll be tardy, though. This is more important to me than whatever class I need to be in now. 

            Griff looks down at me with his warm, grey eyes. He's serious for once. The uneasiness in my stomach starts to grow the longer he stays serious. Finally, he blurts, "We need to talk about Friday."

            I wince and look away. That is the one thing I wanted to avoid talking about. I should have known that it would be inevitable, though. I take a step back from him, "Actually, maybe we should just forget it ever happened?"