Chapter Thirty

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: OCTOBER 18TH, 2016

CHAPTER THIRTY

            The Fall Formal is a dance I've always looked forward to. I don't remember a year when I dreaded it. And that's because there hasn't been a year where I've dreaded going until now. Griffyn was the only thing that made the dance fun.

            The Fall Formal is lame. That's the simplest way to put it. The school supplies us with too many chaperones and a really crappy DJ, but I've never really cared because Griff has always gone with me to lighten the mood.

            Whether it was him dancing idiotically to an awful song to get me to laugh or him singing a slow song to me as we danced when things were heading towards maybe being awkward, he never failed to entertain me.

            The Fall Formal was just our thing.

            So for me to be walking into the decorated gym alone, without Griffyn by my side...

            "Hey, you got this. We're going to have fun tonight." Carolina tells me, appearing at my side. Wes stands beside her, looking really put together and a bit nervous.

            "Stop acting like we're actually going to stick together. You know you'll just ditch me whenever the first slow song comes on and you probably won't come back."

            Carolina grins at me. "Yeah, sorry. But hopefully Parker and Parker will stay to keep you company."

            I snort remembering earlier tonight when we were getting ready at Carolina's. Parker's date showed up and I had to answer the door since Carolina was still applying makeup and Park was having trouble with the straps of her heels. When Parker's date introduced himself as Parker, I thought it was some sort of strange joke and started laughing at him.

            That's how Park found me; laughing at her date, whom she confirmed was also named Parker, which just made me laugh even harder. Her face had turned a deep shade of red as she apologized to him for my rudeness and she practically ran out the door with him in tow.

            So I highly doubt she's going to keep me company tonight, especially with her date around, because of the embarrassment I caused her.

            It's probably for the best I suppose, because if I were to see them together now, I'd probably start laughing all over again.

            Carolina leaves my side a few minutes later when a slow song comes on, confirming my assumption about her keeping me company.

            I sigh and make my way to the punch table to fix myself a cup. I sip from it as I watch students wander around the gym doing various things. Some are stuffing their faces while others are disappearing to the corners and hallways for scandalous activities, and the kids with actual, real dates are the ones out on the dance floor. I happen to fit into the weird-stalker category where people sip punch from cups and people watch.

            Great. Thank you, Mom, for making me come to this dance. It was totally worth my time and money.

            By the time the slow song ends, I've people-watched enough to be fairly certain Alesha and Griff haven't shown up yet.

            At least, I hope that's what the case is.

            My stomach clenches as I imagine a scenario in which they're one of the couples who've migrated to corners and hallways to make out heavily without adult supervision.