Chapter Ten

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN: MARCH 13TH, 2016

PICTURED ABOVE (VERY TINY): GRIFFYN AND DIXIE

CHAPTER TEN

            Griffyn takes twenty two minutes and thirty seven seconds to walk back through my front door. As soon as he does, I hop off the couch. I'm not sure why I do it, but it just doesn't seem right to be sitting as he yells at me for dumping Italian food on his "girlfriend."

            He's messing with his hair, a nervous habit, when he enters the living room. When he sees me standing in front of the couch, he stops in his tracks. A million different emotions flicker across his face before he settles on one of stone that doesn't give me any hints on what he's thinking.

            Suddenly, I'm nervous. As soon as he left and Melody had given me that little smirk that pissed me off more than I ever thought possible, I'd actually been happy that I'd done what I did. I mean, the girl deserved it. And I'd totally been ready to fight with Griffyn about it. But now, I'm just embarrassed and want to go hole up in my bed under all my covers to avoid him at all costs.

            "Hey," I whisper, pulling at hem of the shirt I have on, suddenly uncomfortable in my t-shirt and shorts. I realize with a start that this is his shirt when I drop the hem of the shirt and it falls until it covers my shorts completely.

            Griffyn sighs and walks over to sit on the couch. I stand, not knowing whether to sit or keep standing. I was prepared to have this conversation standing up, yelling at loud volume, not sitting down in silence. He looks up expectantly when I don't sit down and gestures to the couch beside him.

            Biting my lip, I reluctantly sit down. I don't like where this is headed. I'd much rather have him yell in my face than see him completely collected and calm. Calmer is scarier.

            We sit in silence as the movie that I was watching plays at low volume on the TV. It's definitely one of the most uncomfortable moments in our friendship. Maybe not the worst, but definitely up there.

            "I'm sorry," I say to end the silence and apparently, Griff has the same idea as I do because he goes, "Listen."

            We both pause and stare at each other. I would laugh, but I keep it back because I take it that this is not the situation to burst out laughing. Serious matters here, Carson.

            "You first," We say at the exact same time. I can't help but let out a laugh at this. Of course this happens to make this conversation even more awkward. Griff even smiles a little.

            "You first, Griffyn." I tell him.

            Griffyn nods and stares at his hands. His sudden attention to his hands causes my eyes to draw there too. His skin is tan from all the hours outside because of baseball this summer. His hands are slightly calloused from all the physical work he most likely did. He has a summer job building and repairing houses for people who can't. Well, at least he has for the past few summers. I haven't really kept in touch with him much this summer to know if he'd done so again. The guilt that had ebbed away after I dismissed Melody's words comes rushing back in waves.