7: The Truth.

Megan Crawford.
Monday, July 6th 2015.
11:36.

Kyle and I were alone in The Book Escape.

Aria had left a few minutes before, since she had gone with her boyfriend to a restaurant for brunch. I had not known that she had been in a relationship with someone, but apparently, she and Jake had been together for a few months.

I was not too happy about the thought of being alone with Kyle. I knew that he would want me to talk to him, when really; all I wanted to do was read my book, Jane Eyre, in silence.

Since the day at the antique store, I had told myself that I would ignore him. I just could not handle so much stress, I had enough to worry about with my family and my friends, and I could not manage him too.

"Meg, do you want any coffee?" he offered all of a sudden. He was standing with his hands in his pockets on the other side of the store. I looked up from my book and slanted my head to the side as I thought about it for a moment.

He had not called me any pet names, which was so strange. I actually thought that the sound of my name on his lips was quite pleasant, since he had never really been one to call me by that. I was supposed to stay away from him, but he had been so polite, and I did want coffee.

I rose to my feet and left my book on the chair before I walked towards Kyle. I made my way towards the counter with the coffee and the pastries, since he was now standing behind it. I rested my elbows on the wood and my chin on my hands as I gave him a small smile.

"What would you want?" he asked as he walked around behind the counter and he picked up a few packages of milk and sugar for the coffee he was about to make.

"I always have black coffee," I told him in a quiet voice as I gave him a shrug. He nodded his head a few times and started to gather the ingredients he would use.

"Good choice," he said as he turned on the coffee maker. I grinned as I stared at him, despite my bad feelings towards him. He was being so proper, and I was curious as to how much time he would last without being arrogant to me. I was not so sure why he was so considerate and respectful at the moment, but I did not care as long as he did not annoy me.

"Why are you being considerate?"

He smiled at me in a sweet manner, turning around as he kept his blue eyes on me. He pressed his back against a table behind him and glanced down at the floor for a moment. He confessed, "Because I want you know that I am not always a bastard."

"Most of the time you are," I pointed out as I brushed a strand of my brown hair behind my ear. I looked at him put the ingredients of the coffee together and I was surprised to see that he really seemed to know what he was doing.

"I am not, I am so offended that you think that, Megan," he chuckled. But then his expression turned serious and his tone seemed sincere and honest as he told me, "If you knew me better, you would realize that I am actually a pretty good person."

"I really doubt that," I argued. He pressed the button of the coffee maker and glanced at me from behind his shoulder. He bit his lip as he stared at me, as if thinking hard about something. I slanted my head to the side and was about to ask him what was wrong, when he spoke.

"Why do you even hate me so much?" His voice was soft and not at all vain and conceited, the way it always was. He was not just asking to annoy me; he really wanted to know what my problem was.

Part of me hated him because of how arrogant he was. But another part of me just had trouble trusting him. Kyle had a bad reputation, he slept with Ava for nothing but pleasure and he was a player that thought he could break my heart.