Chapter thirteen

Kyle's P. O. V

I awoke with a small headache that throbbed every time I tried to think about yesterday. I remembered going back home to get some money, hoping that my father wouldn't be home and out drinking somewhere, but he wasn't. He was there and sober, something I hadn't seen in a long time, the rest was kind of a blur, everything had happened so fast that it didn't register in my brain.

All I remember is screaming, mostly from me and pain, lots of pain. Next thing I know I'm back at Zack's place, I don't even remember going there, but my mind must have been seeking someplace safe and his place was the first thing that came to mind.

It's shocking that I have only known Zack for a short period of time, and most of the time we weren't even getting along but I still, somewhere deep inside me, consider him the one person who will keep me safe. Though I already know that he would not do such a thing, from the moment that I found out that he hates me for being gay, I knew he would have nothing to do with me, so for him to go so far as to comfort me like he did last night got my hopes up that maybe something could come of it. However It's just a hopeless dream that will not come true no matter how many times I wished it so.

I sighed and sat up, the beds springs squeaking beneath my weight. Zack had given me the bed and had taken the floor. I had protested against him doing that for me and suggested that I should take the floor but he would have none of that and insisted that he was okay sleeping on the floor. I could not say no after that, he would not let me.

It was weird how Zack was acting, all nice and gentle towards me. I was sure it's because of all that I'm going through but I still found it strange. I was so used to his glares and harsh words that this change in character has me at a loss for words. I had no idea how to deal with this Zack. Perhaps I should just enjoy it while it lasts since I knew this act would end soon and he would return to his usual self.

The door to Zack's room opened, disrupting my thoughts, and Zack peeked through. When he saw that I was awake he opened the door all the way and walked into the room and towards me.

"Oh good your awake. I have breakfast ready, or should I say lunch since it's so late. Anyways you should go eat then take a shower to clean yourself up since you are still wearing what you had on yesterday. I'll give you some clothes to borrow, okay?"

I was silent for a while as I tried to find some way to thank him for what he was doing for me, but knowing him he would just brush it off and say that he there was no need for thanks. He cocked his head to the side, a spark of curiosity shining in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" He asked when I made no move to get up.

"No, it's nothing."

I jumped out of the bed and followed Zack down to where the kitchen was, surrounded by the smell of eggs and crispy bacon. I breathed it all in and heard my stomach growl loudly from hunger. I blushed, hearing Zack chuckle from ahead of me.

Laura, Zack's mother, was placing two sunny side up eggs on a plate that was filled with delicious looking bacon and toast. Just looking at the food made my mouth water and stomach protest.

"Oh Kyle, you're up. How are you feeling, good enough to eat a big breakfast?" Laura asked as she spotted me come in, sending a quick concerned look my way.

I turned to Zack, confused ad he leaned over to whisper in my ear, his breath tickling me. "I told her that you came back later in the night feeling sick, that you had gotten food poisoning from something you ate."

"Oh." I answered Laura's question. "Yes I'm doing much better, all I really needed, it seems, was some rest and I'm good as new."

"Well, that's nice. My husband went out to buy some medicine in case you weren't feeling good; he should be coming back soon." She handed over a plate of food to me, then Zack.