Chapter twenty-four

Alright everyone, this is what you've all been waiting for, a new chapter. Sorry it's taken so long but it's finally here. Though there are a couple of things I must say:

1) Some of you (probably everyone) will not like what's going to happen in this chapter... But wait; don't stop reading just yet because of this warning. There are more chapters to come, so don't get discouraged, even though you have no idea what I'm referring to when I say all this. I just wanted to let you know so that you may possibly be prepared for what's to come. (I'm over exaggerating a bit, it's not that bad really) :)

And...

2) I will be hiding behind my overturned table with my army of stuffed animals in case you all decide to team up and hunt me down, though I'll probably escape by sea if you do come after me. Also no hate mail for this, pretty please *bats eyelashes and gives best puppy dog look*

Jena (me): Haha, they are all falling for it. *sneaks off while everyone is in a daze* You'll never catch me alive!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zack's P. O. V

I didn't let Kyle out of my sight after that, except for when he was in his classes that I didn't have with him of course, I couldn't do anything about that. But other than that he was always where I could see him, whether he was around me, or at a distance.

I was afraid that if he strayed away from my eyes even a bit, then Kyle's father would find some way to get to him. He had been watching us for a reason, that much was clear. He was planning something, and whatever it was he had up his sleeve, it wasn't going to be good.

"Zack?" A voice asked with worry from the doorway and I snapped out of my thoughts. I opened my eyes and turned my gaze towards Kyle. He was dressed for bed; freshly clean from his shower not minutes ago. "Are you okay?"

I sighed and nodded my head, shifting on my bed into a more suitable position for the night, leaving a spot for Kyle to occupy. "Yeah, I'm fine," I assured, though it was a complete lie on my part.

I wasn't fine at all, not in the least, but he didn't have to know that.

"Okay," Kyle bit his lip, looking unsure of himself and what to do next. He looked behind him, towards the stairs leading to the first floor of my house, as if debating whether to leave or not, before looking back at me, a frown of concern working its way onto his face.

I know I've probably been worrying him the past few hours with my constant wary state. He must have picked up somewhere along the way that something was bothering me but didn't know what and that must be putting him on edge. Knowing that I was causing him to feel concerned about me made me feel bad.

I sighed yet again and spread my arms out to him. "Come here," I commanded gently and without another word he did just that and nestled himself into my embrace, spreading his body down the length of mine as he joined me on the bed. "I am fine, so stop worrying," I repeated, stroking his hair.

He exhaled in content at the contact and made himself comfortable underneath the beds covers, drawing them over his shoulders and placing his head on my stomach. "If you say so," he murmured, voice clouded with sleep, and closed his eyes.

I glanced at the clock to see that it was eleven thirty and understood why he was so tired, it was past bedtime and we needed to get our rest for the school day tomorrow.

I'll have to brood over all this tomorrow, I thought, for now it was time to sleep.

I reached over and turned off the lamps light, encasing the room in darkness and let my heavy eye lids slide down to cover my eyes as I let myself fall deeply into unconsciousness.