Chapter fifteen

Sorry it took so long to upload this chapter. I was having some difficulty in writing it. But it's finally up. Yay!!!!

Remember to V/C/F

Hope you all like this chapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyle's P. O. V

It didn't hit me until I stepped into Zack's house once more, and then it came. Fast and hard, almost knocking me off my feet.

I escaped my father!

I almost started jumping up and down with happiness, but managed not to.

I'll no longer have to stay in the same house as that man who takes such pleasure in beating me to a pulp and insulting me.

A sense of intense relief and as if a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders wafted through me. I smiled, my eyes watering, but no tears came.

"You okay," Zack asks, noticing my expression.

Startled, I take a while to answer, trying to find the right words to express what I was feeling. "Yeah, I'm fine," I say at last and turn to look at him, appreciation in my eyes. "Thank you," I say, gratitude overflowing out of me.

He looks startled but pleased, even a bit embarrassed and tries to play it off cool. "It's no big deal, if anyone say what was happening they would do the same thing."

"I doubt that," I replied, certain of this.

I doubted anyone would really care in fact. It's not like it was their problem to meddle with, so why should they do something about it. I mean, can you really say when someone sees the situation I'm in or anyone in the same position as me; they won't turn a blind eye to it and pretend they never saw it happen.

"Yes they would."

I didn't argue, but I didn't agree with his belief. Instead I moved on to another topic. "So what now?" I asked, looking around uncertainly.

"What do you mean? You'll be staying here from now on."

"No, not that. I mean, what do we say to your parents? Will they even agree to this?" My eyebrow scrunched together with worry.

"They will," he said, confidence radiating off of him. I could practically see it and all its glory. I almost shielded my eyes away from the glow.

"You can't know that."

"Of course I do, they believe anything I say and will let me do anything I want as long as it's within reason," he said, practically boasting about it.

"Lucky you," I said sarcastically.

He sobered. "It'll be fine, you don't have to worry."

I sighed and nodded my head. "I hope your right." I picked up the bags I had dropped to the floor when I came in. "Where do I put these, and where will I be staying?"

"Same place as before, my room."

I nodded and headed up the stairs.

***

We were gathered around the couch, seated and silent in thought. I fiddled with the hem of me shirt, lips pursed tight and eyes flickering back and forth from Zack and his parents. Zack had just finished telling his parents why I will be staying here.

Of course everything Zack said about the reason why I was here was complete baloney.

I have to say, as I watched Zack explain how my father was 'supposedly' going to be out of town for work and needed someone to take care of me since I'm so hopeless and can't take care of myself, I felt deeply impressed with his ability to lie so easily; keeping a straight face throughout his explanation and showing no indication of telling a lie.