Chapter twenty-five

New chapter, yay! I hope I did well in writing this chapter.

Anyways, enjoy. :)

————————————————————————————————————————————

Kyle's P. O. V

I heard the defying sound of a gun going off and I watched in horror as Zack toppled forward with a pained cry and collapsed face first onto the ground with a sickening thud and moved no more.

For a frozen second nobody moved, or even breathed for that matter as everyone tried to process what just happened, then all hell broke loose. The sounds of screams rose around me, shouts of horror and fear, but I paid them no mind, focused only on Zack as his blood slowly gathered beneath his body.

"Zack?" I questioned through unmoving lips and took a hesitant step forward, but he didn't respond. I fell to my knees beside him and gathered his limp body in my arms, feeling the sting of tears threatening to spill.

I felt numb as I stared down at him, as if I had been robbed of my emotions and could do nothing more than watched as Zack's essence drained from him. I couldn't tell if he was breathing, and I felt for a pulse, but I wasn't sure if he had one.

No, it can't be. He can't be dead; I despaired, my mind not wanting to believe it to be true. I wasn't certain, so there's a chance that he's alive, right?

I shakily reached out and touched the tips of my fingers to Zack's pale face that felt deathly cold and looked up, disbelief in my eyes. I turned my gaze to Mia who was crying silently a few feet away from me, her hands covering her mouth as she stared at Zack, then to Nathen, who seemed to be in shock.

I then looked out towards the students who were emptying out of the cafeteria in an attempt to escape this mad man before he shot at them, never once looking back, but still I felt nothing.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and tightened my hold on Zack. He felt fragile in my arms, breakable like glass, and... dead.

No! I won't believe it, he's not dead, he can't be.

Yet the evidence was right in front of me. With the amount of blood Zack had lost, there was no way he could have survived. It would be a miracle if he did, yet there was no sign of life in him. None at all.

I stilled when I noticed Zack's finger twitch and felt hope surge through me.

He was alive!

"Someone call an ambulance!" I sobbed at those around me, tears flowing free and dripping onto Zack's pale face, sliding down it and onto the floor. I laid him on the floor again and pressed my hands to his wound, trying to stop the blood flow. "Oh please Zack, hang in there, don't die on me," I pleaded.

"Che, he didn't die, that's too bad," my father tsked in annoyance and anger suddenly burned through me with a vengeance. I never even thought I could possibly become so enraged, it wasn't in my nature. So when my heart longed for revenge on the person who did this to Zack, I was powerless to stop it.

"What did you just say?" I asked hotly, fisting my hands tightly until my nails bit into my palms and drew blood that dripped onto the floor next to Zack's body. Fire raged in my eyes and I turned my murderous gaze towards my father who took a step back in fear, and at least he had the decency to look a bit guilty for what he had done.

But it was too late for regret now, the deed had been done.

He'll pay for what he's done; he's as good as dead! How dare he shoot my Zack. Why does he have to keep ruining my life, and when I had finally found something worth living for this is what he does? Why can't he just leave me the hell alone once and for all and disappear from my life?