9. Weighing down the problems

Chapter 9 - Weighing Down The Problems

It was the best day of the weak. Monday. and my inner sarcasm was shortly running low. Most of the weekend all I have done really was chill with Liam and play Cod. I mean losing Cod multiple times to Liam to be fair. He has developed such good reflects it's starting to become impossible to beat him.

All weekend Lydia has been pestering me to go up to the lake house with her to try helping her figure out the next cypher code for another third of the dead pool but  all weekend I faked being ill. Honestly, I never signed up for this. I just want to stay out of it and well I plan on ignoring it until it just goes away.

Now me, Mason and Liam were sitting in the gym room because we had a free period. Liam was lifting weights on the bar while I sat against the locker beside the work station taking selfies because I was board and occasionally working on my chemistry assignment. Mason wasn't too far from us lifting smaller dumbbells which he reassured us was his 'warm up.'

"You know how I keep reminding Garrett to give me back my hoodie?"  Mason asked looking at Liam who got off the weight bench to go and fetch more weights to attach.

"Yeah." I answered Mason so he didn't end up being blanked. Liam wasn't really paying attention to his friend which made me roll my eyes.

Since Liam had been bitten his been very distant from Mason. Too distant if you ask me and if he doesn't change his ways he will end up losing one of his bestfriend.

"Well, I remembered you said he lived in that housing development on Spaulding. So I went there and guess what? The housing development is still in development." Mason carried on talking, I raised my eyebrow in confusion. Why would Garret lie about where he lives.

"So?" Liam muttered rudely again not really paying attention. He got back down under the weight bar and started lifting it again showing off his biceps which I must admit I loved to admire.

The face Liam pulled every time he lifted the bar made me want to melt, it was like falling for him over again.

"There are no houses yet. So unless the dude lives in some backhoe, there's something he's not telling us." Mason trailed off.

Liam just made grunting and panting sounds while he lifted the bar. I lowered my chemistry book and took a few minutes to register the information.

"There is something odd about that kid. I just need to figure out what?" I mumbled looking up at Mason who just nodded at me in agreement. His eyes gazed from me to Liam looking at how much he was lifting.

"And then there's this other dude, man, he's... He's been acting really strange. Running to school for no reason. Disappearing at parties. Used to be my best friend." Mason's voice was laced with annoyance while he carried on lifting the dumbbells.

I felt really bad for Mason; I haven't really made many friends here but if I was Mason I'd be pretty upset if my friend kept an important secret from me.

Liam got up placing more weight on his bar then he could possibly lift. "Uh-huh." Liam muttered causing me to send him a sideways glare for his rudeness.

"And was apparently on steroids." I chuckled under my breath while I watched Liam take a very tight grip on the bar before he lifted it. If he keeps acting like this he will end up outing his own secret.

"What?" Liam asked suddenly woken from his ignorant trance which was starting to grind my gears. He then glanced up at Mason, his look as cold as stone.

"You're not actually going to try to lift that, are you?" Mason questioned shaking his head at Liam. Liam sat up before looking at the amount of weight he put on the bar. I glared at him mentally telling him to stop asking like a knob but he just shrugged my glance off.